Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I should have just worn my flannel.

what's the big deal with suits, why do I have to wear one to interview?

I think it's stupid.

They're judging me, that's the whole point of an interview, right?

What can they tell if I'm wearing a suit? That I have the requisite knowledge and ability to both pay an enormous amount of money for a few folds of cloth, and then dress myself?

Dumb.

They should be evaluating my competency as an employee: Give me a math quiz or something - I can do that in jeans and a t-shirt just as well as in a suit, and maybe better.

That's not to say I don't like suits, I do, I look good in them (most of the time), but I shouldn't be required to wear one just to walk in the door.

My friend's boss would refuse to interview someone if they showed up without a jacket and tie.

But I'm not your puppet!

My recruiter asked me if I was wearing "appropriate attire" for the interview.

wtf, mate

I resolved a long time ago not to wear suits to interviews.
the job I want won't require it, the people that hire me for that job won't care.

But I didn't want to hurt his feelings, so I said "Actually, a kid on the train spilled coffee all over it."

"Really? so you've got a small stain or something?"
"Nope. it's unsalvageable"
"Really, unsalvageable, huh? - You can't put your hands on another suit in the next half-hour? No? Ok, well, I'll call them and let them know about the...accident..."

sheesh.


I'm nobody's puppet. I went to the interview in a shirt-and-tie, talked to an HR person in a ridiculous one-piece corduroy skirt thing, and a VP in shirt sleeves and a windbreaker.

I didn't have a blazer - SOMEBODY ALERT THE EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM!

-t

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like that "flannel" is now a label of its own.

hope the interview went well.

mance01 said...

He actually called them to say "um, the kid spilled coffee on his blazer." You couldn't explain that one on your own? Especially to the chick in a corduroy jumper and the guy who was expecting gusty weather in the office?

I'm so glad I'm not in business.

Miss Lindsay Mak said...

where was the interview this time around?