Tuesday, December 12, 2006

There's nothing wrong with wanting flannel

"Well, what do you want to do?" is the wrong question.

I hate my job, I want to get a new one doing something else, something I don't hate. How do I know what I don't hate? No idea.

Short of guess-and-test there isn't a really good solution to the problem. I could quit this job and try telemarketing for a couple weeks, then quit that job and try managing a Mcdonalds, after that I could try pouring concrete, if I could get into the union.

Won't work, though. After two or three jobs I'll start getting heat at interviews. "Why'd you leave your last job? And the one before it? And before that? And the six other jobs you've had in the last two months?"

Not an ideal candidate.

It's not the right question, but it's still the question everybody asks me. "What do you want to do?" I have no idea!

But, and here's the key, it doesn't matter. I'll do anything. I know I'd be good at anything, given the proper instruction. I do know I don't want to do finance.

I want to work with a small group of intelligent people. That's it. Doing what? Who. Cares.

Practically, my resume is loaded with financial experience so I'm hounded by recruiters if I post it online; I don't relish the thought of changing industries because that means I'll be starting out at the bottom of the pay-scale ladder again; and which industry should I try?

You can picture me in my ideal job, can't you? Flannel shirt, jeans, working with a few very smart people, and getting a big fat paycheck at the end of the week.

-t

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

What about a think tank? Boston should be loaded with them.
You would wear flannel, be surrounded by smart people, AND contribute to world thought on finances.

Tom said...

Please, let me be clear:

I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FINANCE.

Anonymous said...

tom, you really should aim for the monthly paychecks. monthly or at least biweekly.

i do recommend academics. working in a treasurers office or being somehow involved in the financial this and thats of a certain office or department. It might work well with your resume, and given the right department (and institution) flannel is encouraged. I hear that BU is a fun place to work.

Anonymous said...

Why not work at old navy. Not the retail store, but where they actually design the clothes. Then you could get everyone to dress like you AND get paid for your internationally acclaimed cutting edge top of the line lumberjack shirts.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could tell each next employer that you're a writer and you took the previous jobs for the purpose of research.