Friday, December 15, 2006

Like high school without the dances.

Last week, our Vice President was demoted and moved to the Ohio office.

There was no official announcement. One day he was leaving work early like he always did, the next day there was a different guy in the office with different pictures of company sponsored team-building retreats.

Apparently he's a big shot with the company. This was just sent out by management:


To:Team leaders
Subject: Heads up

Grant Simmons is on our floor now. Please encourage your staff to be here by 9 each day before he brings it up. He gave me the subtle hint today!

Thanks!
-Dick Matthews



I've seen similar emails in the past, if you work in corporate you probably have too.

They strike me as a little insincere.

"We have to do our jobs the right way now because someone is watching." really means "When no one is watching it's ok to screw around."

Really, if this place were being run well, the team leaders, management, and the big shot VP would all require punctuality. "Tell your people to do their jobs so I won't get in trouble" isn't a message you want to broadcast. It smacks of unprofessionality.

In addition, I believe that the VP should address the floor directly. If he's got a problem with tardy employees, be up front about it. Is it too much to expect a little professionalism from the Vice President of the company?

"Hey, management, your teams have been coming in late. Fix it."

See that? No subtlety. Directness. It's better.

It's also really the only thing I respond to in a working environment. I will continue to show up whenever I damn well please until I am told directly that it will not be tolerated.

I think we all know when that's going to happen - so it looks like you can count on me not making it to the nine a.m. meetings.

-t

No comments: