Monday, December 04, 2006

If I could just put my finger on the one thing, the primary cause of my unease, unhappiness, and general discontentment...

Ok. It's not my job that I hate. It's Insolent Bob.

He is surly and nearly unapproachable. He does not communicate well verbally, struggling with both the spoken word, and the written word. (He may be very good at charades, but I doubt it.)

I would not find his unhelpfulness so consternating except for his expression of disgust whenever I ask him a question. "You should already know this," he seems to say, "are you stupid?" His whole manner screams "This job is really easy and my instructions are quite clear and understandable, you ignorant peon."

[The above is not quite accurate. Insolent Bob is much more vulgar in speech and mannerism. I cannot bring myself to duplicate or transcribe his behavior more faithfully, as it would violate the good taste of this blog.]

What's more, his attitude is unjustified. His instructions are neither clear or easily understood.

Today's emails:

Monday, 8:55 AM
From: Insolent Bob
To: Me

They reposted the interest that had been cancelled, Do not accrue for this but rather book to cash for 11/1 and settle 11/1. all the others should be accrued.

From: Me
To: Insolent Bob

Do you mean the entries labeled “Interest Earned/Charged for November” that appear on the December 1st reports should be booked as Interst/Expense effective November 1st?

Also, which entries should be accrued?

From: Insolent Bob
To: Me

I am not sure what it is called _ Brk TD 11.1 post/settle 11.1




What the hell is that supposed to mean?! It's not just me, right? My response isn't crazy, is it? I asked a clear, coherent, topical question, didn't I? A normal person could respond to that with a definitive answer, couldn't they? A "yes" or a "no" would make sense there, wouldn't it?

Because really, if I'm totally off base here somebody is going to have to tell me. Is this normal behavior?

Try this exercise: You, the reader, pretend I'd sent my question to you. Even without knowing for sure the correct answer to the question, can you compose a reasonable response? One that makes sense?

Now, I'd just like to remind you that Insolent Bob is not some blog reader who has no knowledge of mutual fund accounting, but he is, in fact, THE SENIOR TRAINING MEMBER OF THE GROUP.

I honestly find it hard to believe we continue to generate new business.


-t

2 comments:

mance01 said...

Okay, I think you should respond with a string of non-sensical letters. Or better yet, develop some kind of code...and in code send him an email that says "You're an idiot."

Two can play at that game.

Anonymous said...

Step one. Find a source of financial-sounding materials, perhaps a listing of the state tax laws.
Step two. Feed the source into a Markov chain generator.
Step three. Feed the resulting important-sounding gibberish to Hapless Coworker.
Step four. Feed more random nonsense to Hapless Coworker when he asks for clarification.
Step five. Unless Hapless Coworker is fired for following meaningless instructions, return to step three.