Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Fifty: A Countdown

Fifty songs that have debuted, been in heavy rotation, or been stuck in my head through 2006. #50-41


50.

Mad World by Gary Jules (Tears for Fears cover)

You may claim, as many have, that this song is from the Donnie Darko soundtrack. You would be wrong. You should recognize this song from the "Gears of War" commercial. (here) This song is the reason I bought an Xbox 360.


49.

Snow (Hey Oh) by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

I'd heard good things about the new RHCP. I'd heard they were in the studio for months recording a bad album, and one night they just scrapped the whole thing, sat for a twelve-hour session, and laid down the framework for their crowning achievement.

I admit, the stories were pretty exciting. It wasn't until the X-games were being promoted on ESPN though, that I bought the album. The commercial used the opening lick from this song, and I was hooked.


48.

Within A Mile Of Home (live) by Flogging Molly

Speaking of music released in 2006, Flogging Molly's Within A Mile Of Home was actually released in 2004. But I got it this year, and while most of the album feels like they're starting to stretch their sound a bit, this, the title track, feels just like the Molly we know and love.


47.

Tobacco Island by Flogging Molly

I didn't like this song at first. I dismissed it as another "Cruel Mistress." But I was wrong. This is the first song I play whenever this disc comes through the rotation. It rocks.


46.

Marker In the Sand by Pearl Jam

Here's the first Pearl Jam item in the countdown. I'm a fan of the opening. I dig Pearl Jam. Keep an eye out for an Eddie Vedder solo piece later on...


45.

It's Not Me by 3 Doors Down

Here's another band that's making two appearances. "It's Not Me" gets posted here, because I'm saving the other one for later. Both songs are from the album Seventeen Days which I received in the mail after forgetting to cancel my CD Club membership.


44.

Natalie Portman by Ozma

I started listening to this one a little more often after catching a rerun of Natalie Portman's SNL Digital Short. I hate her, but it's a funny bit, and the song's really good too.


43.

Tannhauser by Richard Wagner

You'll be seeing one or two more classical pieces here. This is the one I fall asleep too most nights. Some of you may also remember this from Disney's Fantasia. It's awesome all around, though it isn't the piece that swung me toward the classical sound - that's coming up later in the countdown.


42.

Juke Box Hero by Foreigner

I had no idea who Foreigner was. I still really don't. The bulk of my history of music knowledge comes from VH1's Heavy Metal programming. I may have grabbed this song by accident, who knows. But, I do know that when this shuffled onto my playlist I couldn't stop listening. I have visions of spotlights, colored strobes, and an anonymous, long-haired guitarist, atop a larger-than-life jukebox in a crowded room. And sometimes there are disco lights.


41.

Kyle's Mom's A Bitch by Trey Parker, Matt Stone, South Park



This song is hilarious. I can't believe "Blame Canada" was nomiated for Best Song and this wasn't. I dare you not to sing along.

Next up, #31/40

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Kyle's Mom's a Bitch is a good one. I myself often have "What Would Brian Boitano Do" in my head. What I obviously really mean is I sometimes pause to ask myself "What WOULD Brian Boitano Do?".

Tom said...

Donny just hosted a Brian Boitano party! No joke. Check out the pictures he's got up.

-t

Donny said...

My favorite part of the post is your coming attractions. I was wondering what would come after the 41-50 post. Oh, 31-40.