Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Fifty: #40-31

40.


Carmen Overture by Bizet

This is the piece that put classical music back on the playlist. It's a rolicking bit of music which has been reinterpreted many times, most notably in the classic film The Bad News Bears, which used the only theme from Carmen as the soundtrack.


39.


Gone For Good by The Shins

I can't remember if The Shins were big in 2005 or 2006 or somewhere else. Doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure I listened to them at some point this past year.


38.


New Slang by The Shins

Ditto above. Two good songs.


37.


Moneytalks by AC/DC

If you'd told me I'd be listening to "Moneytalks" this year more than "For Those About To Rock" or "TNT" or "Thunderstruck" I would have scoffed at you. That would have been wrong of me, though, and I would like to apologize. Sorry. You were right. "Moneytalks" is a great song.


36.


Joe Strummer by Cowboy Mouth

I first heard this song live in concert (Crawfish Boil '06 Birmingham, AL) and it blew me away. Though, that night, Cowboy Mouth was blown away by the performance of Sister Hazel. Who'd have guessed?


35.


I'm Good Now by Bob Schneider

Most of his stuff is good. This is the best of it. Unless you ask somebody else. There's bound to be a few different answers to that question. Best or not, it's certainly my favorite. It's good anytime.


34.


Officer by Kate Earl

Another singer/songwriter, I saw Kate Earl open for Matt Nathanson and bought a CD, which she signed "To Tom, <3 Kate" It wasn't until much later that I found out she'd signed the same thing on Donny's CD three nights later in Milwaukee. I guess they both like polka. I suppose there's no accounting for taste. In music, I mean.


33.


You Make Me Feel Like Dancing by Leo Sayer

This one goes back to my roots. My roots, in this case, being my fond memories of the 70's and all those great disco hits that have fallen by the wayside.


32.


Comfort In Sound by Feeder

The first Feeder song I remember hearing was "High" and I loved it. The next time I saw them it was in some awful video for some awful song called "Picture" (Do you want to take my pictu-u-u-re?" Ugh.)

But, turns out, that was Filter, thank the stars. Feeder never sucked.


31.


Dance, Dance by Fall Out Boy

Am I a sellout for liking the first single from the breakout album of a peppy pop band, tongue-in-cheek though it may be? So be it. "Dance, Dance" is one of my favorites from Fall Out Boy.


Watch for #30-21 next!

4 comments:

mance01 said...

hahaha....they overplayed the crap out of Filter. And that video was the worst. ugh.

Anonymous said...

"Dance, Dance" is not the 2nd single from that album, not the 1st. I am more of a sell-out than you for knowing that.

Sarah said...

i am psyched Carmen is on there...Habanera is one of my favorite songs.

Timmy said...

Yeah, I was going to say, "Dance, Dance" wasn't the first. "Sugar We're Going Down" was the first. And I am not a sellout, I just have a god memory.