Monday, November 06, 2006

Walk Away

Really, it's being trapped here that makes it so difficult.

If I could blow off the rest of the day's work and go home early, that would be ok. I could get up, and go for a walk, take some time and read a book at the Boston Public Library, and then hop on the T home. I'd get in just in time to catch Star Trek: The Next Generation on Spike TV, I'd make myself a sandwich, and relax.

The next day I'd show up for work knowing I was a day behind in work, and diligently attack my deliverables.

I would feel refreshed by some time off, and enegized by finishing projects.


That's not how it goes, though. We're one day away from a monthly deadline and none of my work is going to get finsihed, because I don't know what it is I'm supposed to finish. Or start, for that matter.

But I can't leave, because "it's deadline time."

I'd be happy to do this work. I'd be good at it. I'm pretty sure I could finish all this fifth-business-day monthly-deadline reporting by the second business day, if I knew what I was doing.

But I'm not getting any work done here, and as long as they're paying me to get nothing accomplished, all I'm saying is, it would be really nice if they would pay me to get nothing accomplished absolutely anywhere else.

-t


recommended download:
The Dropkick Murphys, Walk Away

1 comment:

mance01 said...

Being able to duck out is a slippery slope. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be coming home for Star Trek at least 3 days this week.

Woo sandwiches!