Friday, November 03, 2006

That pressure you feel at the base of your skull? That's your brain exploding

Story time....




I so, totally, hate my job.

This is the worst job I've ever had. Coincidentally, it's also the highest paying job I've ever had.

I've been under deadline for three days and have accomplished nothing. I have been working my hardest, too. I can't do the job. I don't have the tools.

My manager came by this morning to call me out on one deadline that had already gone whizzing by: Cash Reconciliation.

"Did you finish the cash rec for the nightmare fund?" he said.
"No. I still don't know what a third of the entries are for," I replied.
"Oh. Well. That was supposed to be done yesterday," he said.
"I know. I also haven't finished expenses for my other two funds, and Insolent Bob said he'd look at those," I responded.
"Oh, you still have expenses for your other two funds? What about expenses for the nightmare fund?" he asked.
"No, not done yet, I still don't understand how they're calculated ...

and he walked away! Without saying anything!


I FLAT OUT TOLD HIM I HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING AND HE WALKED AWAY WHAT KIND OF MANAGEMENT IS THAT, I ASK YOU - THIS JOB SUCKS

Then Insolent Bob came to help me with one of his funds. I'm working on the "easy" half, he's working on the difficult half.

His instructions were:

"I'm going to do the pricing, when I'm done you can just copy and paste the variances I have onto your sheet, because both halves will have the same ones."

So. He finished the pricing, I copied and pasted, in no way understanding what the hell I was doing as I did so, mind you, and it didn't work.

I had a variance. So I called Insolent Bob over. I said "I've got a variance."

He looked at the spreadsheet and said:

"Wait. You can't just copy and paste from my sheet onto your sheet. We don't have the same holdings, the variances won't be the same. Why did you do that? You have to do some research."




..... and that's the story about how I got fired for throwing a computer monitor through the conference room wall.

-t

3 comments:

e$ said...

but I'll bet the sound of exploding monitor never felt so sweet.

Tom said...

I couldn't even hear it. Ringing in my ears was too loud. Probably rage-induced.

-t

jayniek said...

you need a job where you get to talk to people. because you are good at it. i think you would make a great marketing guy.

F this job and tailor your resume to highlight your people skills...

now i will stop trying to run your life.
great.