Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Rundown

The Rundown:

Since birth:
-Shovelling out elderly neighbor's driveways.
Payment in cookies.
Summary: Cold, but morally satisfying.

Summer after eighth grade:
-Cleaning neighbor's pool.
Twenty bucks a week.
Summary: Getting money for accomplishing a measureable task. As far as 'first employment experience' goes, I'd say this was a positive introduciton to capitalism.

-Weeding, stump removal, landscaping (different) neighbor's back yard.
Eighty bucks for the job.
Summary: Taking down the forest of wild sumac sucked big-time, but I used the money to buy stuff for my GameBoy, a good trade off.

Sophmore year of high school through first semester of Junior year at BU:
-Cambridge Street Photo, one hour processing, slides, powerpoint, digital processing, large format printing, etc.
Up to eleven bucks an hour, plus commission, film & developing at cost.
Summary: Greatest job I've ever had. Possibly the greatest job I ever will have. I'd go back there now if I could.

I can't.


College:
-Assorted student employment: Office of Housing, Office of Residence Life, High School Tutor.
Seven bucks an hour.
Summary: It's a student job. Who really cares?

-Clerk at a movie rental place.
Six bucks an hour, plus free rentals.
Summary: Free rentals was nice. I spent a summer watching every "I can't believe you've never seen "_______"! movie I'd never seen (Godfather I, II, etc)


Since graduation:
-mutual fund accountant.
Payment: not worth it.
Summary: You know that scene in Office Space? Where Peter's like "Everyday I go into work, and it's worse than the day before. That means, that every day you see me, it's on the worst day of my life."

It's exactly like that.

How's that for a resume?
-t

recommended download:
Cowboy Mouth, Joe Strummer

3 comments:

Tom said...

What the hell did you landscape? I worked in that yard for about six hours every day for four weeks. I wasn't kidding when I said "sumac forest" Dad wouldn't even let me borrow his powertools to cut that stuff down. It was a hand saw the whole way!

Eighty bucks for over a hundred hours work? Yeah. That's about sixty cents an hour.

-t

Anonymous said...

That's what my last job was like BIG TIME. I DREADED getting up and going to work. The company I worked for was an "unclaimed property clearinghouse". It does not get much more boring than that.

Sadly, I'm starting to feel the same way about my current job.

And then I came to a realization: I don't think I'll ever be happy working for someone else.

So uh. That kind of sucks.

e$ said...

I don't really know why I couldn't see your post until now, but yes.

and also, yes.

But, like Jenny, I don't think I'll ever be happy doing anything that doesn't involve lounging around with vodka, a laptop, and a pile of amphetamines. I guess that's not really what Jenny said at all. But that's still what I'm saying.