Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Fourth Annual Dan Goldin Day To Be Celebrated Nationwide This Friday, November 17th

Dan Goldin Day, a holiday I instituted in 2003, has gone national. Keep an eye here for Dan Goldin updates throughout the week.

To start, a little background:

From Boston.com: "[Nov. 1, 2003] The [Boston University] trustees paid Goldin $1.8 million to walk away from the job he was supposed to start today...BU's employment contract with the incoming president would have paid him a salary of $750,000 a year for five years, plus extensive benefits and a severance package that would take effect once he assumed office."

From my archives:
"[Nov. 18,2004] for those of you unfamiliar with Dan Goldin, or Dan Goldin Day here's a brief wrap-up ...BU had elected him prez, decided to throw him a party and gave everyone the day off last Nov. 17th (2003) then, when they booted him, they were going to cancel the day off which would have forced me to take an exam for which I wasn't prepared. However, cool guys that the BU trustees are, they decided to give us the day off anyway, thus saving me from a sure failure. Consequently, I took an oath that day to celebrate Dan Goldin and the role he played in the debacle, by celebrating "Dan Goldin Day" every Nov. 17th (observed this friday, Nov. 18th - see earlier post for schedule for the week of 11/15). Also, it's much easier to say and remember than "Nov. 17th, I-lucked-out-and-got-extra-time-to-study-for-a-big-exam day" :)


And, two emails from Donny:
"It's incredible how many people in Milwaukee are now aware of Dan Goldin Day. This could really catch on."

"We're going on the brewery tour again. But I have had numerous people ask about the holiday - Joe, Carla, Kristy, Jon, and my coworkers. Today I actually used the phrase, "another Dan Goldin Day miracle!"

-Donny"


For more Dan Goldin Day news and highlights stay tuned here, Weblog: a20261. Thanks for playing along.

-t

No comments: