Friday, October 06, 2006

Snooze-d

I was going to write about how great work was yesterday (I did actual, real work, and finished a report one whole day early), and then how not-so-great it was at the end of the day (I waited until six-thirty for the VP to approve my report only to learn then that he had gone home for the day at five o'clock).

But instead, I'll write about my alarm clock not going off this morning.

My alarm clock didn't go off this morning. Don't panic. This has happened to me before. I'm sure it's happened to many of you as well. You wake up, realize you've overslept, throw on some clothes, grab a bagel on your way out the door, arrive at work half an hour late, explain about the alarm clock, feel harried until at least lunchtime, and then put it behind you.

Well, that's if you overshot your alarm clock by thirty minutes or so. Hit the snooze one too many times.

I normally wake up at seven forty-five. Today I woke up at eleven forty-five.

(That's four hours.)

Whoo-boy.

I didn't really believe it at first. My alarm read 11:45 AM exactly. Maybe I'd punched the "adjust hour" button instead of the "off" button. Maybe it was really 7:45 and my clock only read 11:45.

But, just in case, I'm not going to waste anytime lying in bed pondering. I jumped up and hit the shower, then threw on some clothes and flipped open my cell phone: 11:51 AM.

Ok. I was going to be a little late for work.

I grabbed my bag and flew out the door. I made my way to the T station and waited ten minutes for an inbound train.

It's cool. I'm late, you know? Strolling in at twelve-twenty isn't much different than strolling in at twelve-thirty, so I'm not going to kill myself. I'll get there when I get there.

I get here at twelve twenty-five. My lazy manager is standing near my desk with a couple other guys. "Did you have a training class this morning?" they asked. "Nope. Slept through my alarm. I woke up about half an hour ago" I replied.

"Why'd you say that?" you must be thinking. If they thought you were in class you're home free!

That's a good thought, and on any other day I would have gone that route, but, today is the first Friday of the month, and there are no classes that are offered during the first week of every month. I'd have no problem saying I'd attended a class that actually met, but I won't say I attended a class that was never even scheduled.

I have to draw the line somewhere.

Not that it was a big deal, the next thing my manager said was "Well, you didn't miss much."

Which I'd been counting on. So, I sat down and started saving down reports and thinking about how long I'd have to wait before I left for lunch...

-t

(btw, there are a bunch of new drawings up at intransitivity I put up on Wednesday, check 'em out)

No comments: