Monday, October 30, 2006

A Knock at the Door

You may be tempted, as you read the first few lines of what would have been, the first few lines of this post, to assume it is a Daylight Savings post. Right now, the first few lines, and a few after that, are a disclaimer about the first few lines of what follows them. (More confused that you were before you navigated over here, eh? All part of the game.)

So, I assure you it is not a Daylight Savings post.

And, Daylight Savings is a sham, I don't mind saying so, and I encourage all of you to ignore it. No more of this "Fall Back, Spring Forward" lemming-like march to the clocks. Disregard it, I say!

I would be disregarding it, as I'm telling you to, also, were it not for the fact that everyone else on the planet does set the clocks back. And you may think this has important implications a certain area of my life, most notably "Employment," but you would be wrong. The only reason I, too, follow the beat of the crazed daylight-saving drummer, is so I don't miss any good shows on TV.

So much, for the digression. On to the real post:

Ok. I lied. Not on to the post. Instead, I'm going to get coffee. I'm tired, and need it. I will explain why in the post, when I return...


I'm back. Medium coffee, plain bagel, toasted with cream cheese. "Work" is a place I go between meals.

So, the story:

Last night I stayed up until all hours of the morning rationalizing the time with "it's not really midnight, it's really only eleven o'clock. daylight savings is stupid. it doesn't even save daylight, it only makes it darker when you get out of work, which, really, would be the best time for it to be light out, you know?"

Which is when I found Iron Chef America (Battle Honey) on food network.

So, I was up until one o'clock, about, on a work night, plus the time it took me to get ready for bed, and actually fall asleep. In my head "I know it's only really midnight now, but you still have to get up in six hours, whether the alarm clock reads six o'clock or seven o'clock."

So I woke up an hour before my alarm. Wide awake. Bushy-tailed, read to go. I was amazed.

So, I took my time getting ready. Watched some SportsCenter. Hung out. At eight fifteen there was a knock on my door. "Come in," I called.

It was Danny, a high school sophmore, bleary-eyed and rumpled, he looked desperate. "Tommy, can you give me a ride to school?! I'm late."

HA. So, just as you were expecting my story to end with "I overslept because DST is stupid" it ended with "My brother overslept because DST is stupid!"

How's that for a twist?

Now I'm going to go back and enjoy my coffee and bagel, which I didn't have time for this morning, because I was driving my brother to school, and you can go back to thinking it's ten fifteen, when we all know that it's actually eleven fifteen.

Stupid pilgrims.
-t

2 comments:

e$ said...

i got totally gypped - since my cellphone sets itself, I didn't even realize it was DST until today. booo.

But after all the drinking this weekend, the extra hour of sleep really helped.

mance01 said...

Does Danny not realize you're supposed to get places *early* when DST goes away?