Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Hookey

Here's the plan:

I'd booked a flight out of Boston for Friday night at seven. I was going to leave work asap and hit the blue line to the airport. I'd scheduled my return flight for Monday at noon.

I'd planned on calling in sick Monday, then rolling in to work Tuesday looking hungover to complete the disguise (or, possibly, because I will be hungover Tuesday).

But

The day after I'd booked my tickets I learned that both my lazy manager and the insolent guy will be out of the office on Thursday and Friday. I called the airline to see if they could bump me to an earlier flight, maybe leaving early Friday insted of late.They offered me a flight for Thursday at three in the afternoon.

The question is this: Do I stick with my original plan, or

Leave work at lunch time Thursday, call in sick Friday and Monday, and roll into work looking hungover on Tuesday?

On the one hand, my manager won't know I'm gone Thursday or Friday, because he won't be here, and insolent guy won't be here to tell him.

On the other hand, I might be expected to approve reports or correspond with the client because I'll be the only one here.

But, back on the first hand, I've set up a rule to autoforward my work email to my gmail account so I could still, hypothetically, field client requests and at least respond with "I'll have to look at this Monday" (Knowing full well I won't be in Monday, but that my manager will be and he can look into it)

I'm flipping back and forth, but basically, less work, is good work.

-t

5 comments:

Donny said...

I love working on days that my management isn't around. I get so much completed.

mance01 said...

Homer: Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Tom said...

Donny, I'm talking about skipping out on the days management isn't around.

Though, I do agree with you. The days that the insolent guy isn't looking over my shoulder from his cubicle are the days I'm most productive. I'll probably get a week's work done Thursday morning before I make my early exit due to "illness."

-t

Anonymous said...

i say stick with the original plan. i had a reason for it ... but i forget it now.

if you get to alabama on thursday, that would mean that mance01 would have to skip work friday ... and that might mess up things for her.

mance01 said...

Dear Timmy,
I am already skipping work on Friday because I have to drive to ATL to get Tom. It's nice of you to think of me, but I'd much rather miss work and get to spend more time with your brother. So, endorse the Thursday plan.

Gracias ;)