Thursday, September 21, 2006

Stretching a dollar

Help. What happens when you simply have to buy a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 2 Noise Cancelling headphones in order to prevent aural damage due to frequent air travel for approximately $*299.99 (on ebay for about $250? I hope?), the brand new Nintendo Wii Revolution, with a release date of November 18, 2006, for approximately $250.00, and a brand new 30GB iPod from Apple.com for about $250.00, because my two-year old 20GB iPod just died an awful agonizing critical death, which I don't want to talk about anymore, thank you...

and you only have $250.00 to spend?


No, I'm serious. That's not a rhetorical question. Any idea where I can find Bose headphones for below retail? A deal on the Revolution? An iPod that works?

Oh, also, I need to spend at least a little of that $250.00 in order to eat.

I can stretch money, if I've got some lying around, but 250 into 800 might be beyond my capacity.

Also, is there anyone out there good enough to convince me that spending a month's rent on frivolities is not the way to go? I probably need that talk right about now. Because I've got a couple Bose auctions that are about to end...

-t

* all currency, John this is for your benefit, is in USD. (post script - I added the asterisk in order to use an anchor tag, which I just learned to do. bam.)

5 comments:

mance01 said...

There's only one way to get all that stuff for less than $800. Start mugging people.

And what's a "critical death"? I would think death is either always critical, or never critical. Cause really, you're dead. How critical can that possibly be?
:-p

Anonymous said...

a few things...

1) why do you need the exact headphones you specified? from your blog it doesn't sound like you do frequent air travel. and as someone who used to do frequent air travel, i can attest that sony headphones are fantastic, and only 33 bucks.

2) do you have a warranty for your iPod? they replaced mine for free when mine died.

3) find a friend who will buy the new nintendo system. i would suggest anybody in your IT department.

Tom said...

1. I do, in fact, travel frequently by air. I also take the train every day to work. I feel the purchase of top of the line noise-cancellation headphones is warranted.

2. I have had the iPod for two years, it was under warranty for the first year. I have, in the past, reset, fixed, cajoled, coaxed, and threatened in order to get music out of it.

It's dead, dead.

3. No f-ing way. I'm getting the Revolution. (By the way, we've refused to use the name "Wii" because it's a stupid name.)

I did not ask for alternatives. I don't want substitutes, repairs, or proxies. I want the merchandise, baby.

Does anyone have the answer I seek?
-t

"I can't take his money, I can't pring my own money,
why don't I just lay down here and die?!"
-Homer Simpson

Anonymous said...

well, i respect the desire to own specific brands and systems. without any other alternatives though, you're stuck with the debt (or an arrest, if you start mugging people). or maybe you can hope that woot will have your merchandise, but then it might be refurbished...

Anonymous said...

If you turn in your dead iPod at the Apple store and show your student ID, you will get some sort of discount on a new one. It's probably like $20 but then you can allot that money to something else. But $299.99 for headphones? Craaazy.