Monday, July 17, 2006

More on nicknames

Since writing this post the other day I've been thinking more about nicknames. Nicknames for me.

Unfortunately self-nicknaming is generally frowned upon, so I will have to appeal to the masses (I mean the half dozen of you who read this).

Dear masses: Since reading my earlier post have you also been thinking about nicknames more frequently? Have any of you thought about nicknaming your friends or online acquaintences? If so, I would encourage you to share what you've come up with in the comments section of this post - and if not, I'd encourage you to do so, and then do what I've already encouraged the other half of you to do. (Also, I challenge anyone to rewrite that sentence in a grammatically pleasing way - It's a word game! Word games are fun! Like soduku!)

Remember, just because most nicknames are related in some way to the personality or profession of the nicknamee (great word (that I didn't just make up, btw)), they can also be totally unrelated as long as they're cool.

Alliteration (one 'l' or two?) is a marvelous (one 'l' or two?) way to make the nickname sound cool. "Elbows" Eldridge, for example, or Pat "Pasta-face" Perogi.

Wordplay is also often used: "Tom Thumb" or "Tommy Gun" are popular variants. And colors, though less imaginative, can be used too: "Red," "Blue," etc.

Also, if you do decide to use a body part it is cooler if the body part has a violent connotation: "Elbows" Eldridge is much cooler than "Wristy" McGee, or "Knees" Neeland. Though, you also do have to be careful of doube entendres, "Fists" Allen, for example.

Actually, after re-reading that earlier post, I must say that I'm starting to like the nickname "Knife-face" more and more.

-t."a."e. (the 'a' is for "awesome")

No comments: