Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Feeding the Habit

Today I spent my lunch hour reading in Post Office Square. The experience was very enjoyable.

So enjoyable, in fact, that I plan to continue reading in Post Office Square on my lunch break for the foreseeable, fair weather, future.

Currently I am reading Tolstoy's War and Peace and have (relatively) little to go. Next up on my "to be read" shelf is some fantasy novel I've forgotten the name of, two detective books (I think), two sci-fi novels, and three other books I can't recall.

It is not very often I don't have a stack of books to be read, which is exactly the way I like it.

With the introduction of this new lunctime reading hour I expect to make good progress for the rest of the summer.

Any reading suggestions? High up on the list of "you've gotta read this book" books (which I have yet to acquire) are The Time Traveller's Wife, A Heart-breaking Work of Staggering Genius, and Moby Dick (I'm only half kidding about that one).

Adina, please do not suggest the Gilmore Girls novelization. I prefer my GG as reruns on the ABC Family channel.

-t

8 comments:

mance01 said...

Ugh...Moby Dick. I hate slogging through Melville.

e$ said...

heartbreaking work of staggering genius is a little... hard to take at times. It's like memoir writing on steroids, if "memoir" means "self obsessed" and "steroids" means "cocaine". But I found it a good read, anyway.

And also - how in christs name could you call this heat "fair weather"? to say that stepping outside is akin to descending into hell is the understatement of the year.

enough with simile, I'm done.

Tom said...

nah. hell's got fire. seriously, sitting in the shade of a naturally occurring, non-landscaped, wild plant was quite pleasant.

I would have appreciated the walk to and from the park across blistering asphalt and concrete being a few (dozen) degrees cooler, but I think it was a nice trade-off.

Also, I would put good money on hell being absent the glorious, glorious hazelnut iced coffee from dunkin' donuts.

-t

craziasian said...

I can't believe they novelized GG. That show does NOT translate into the written word.

Tom said...

honestly I made the joke before I knew about it, then searched amazon on the chance that GG had been novelized.

jackpot.

-t

Donny said...

I just finished (and enjoyed) The Name of the Rose. It's a murder mystery set in a 14th century monastery. Very exciting. And there are plenty of Latin phrases. I could send you my copy, in which I have translated the Latin in the margins.

Seriously, though, read A Primate's Memoirs by Robert Sapolsky. I have my copy next to me right now. It's one of the few books I have laughed outloud to. It's nonfiction. It's about baboons. And it's about traveling in Africa. I can't stress enough how much I'm enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

I loved the Time Traveler's Wife. It's kind of girly so you'll probably like it.

Tom said...

wow. what kind of comment is that? are you calling me a girl!?

I read that other girly book that everyone says they like... "handmaid's tale"? wicked girly. I thought it was ok, but it was no "The Cold Six Thousand" that's for sure (which, btw, is incredibly not girly)

-t