Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Today I ALMOST fell asleep (again)

I sat at my desk for four hours today. Straight. With nothing to do.

So I read the giant binder of corporate policies. Of special note: the "use of internet and instant messaging" policy. Which states, very explicitly, that any and all use of the internet for any reasons that are not business related is strictly prohibited. STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Even Google isn't cool.

However, the policing of the policy seems to be left entirely to the honor system. If I am even one-tenth as bored once I start doing actual work as I have been these last two days you will certainly see how much I can push the honor system.

But for right now I'm going to just sit, and hope...and probably sleep.

-tgme

4 comments:

mance01 said...

Wow. You really should have accepted that position contingent on your ability to use instant messenger. Stupid bosses wanting people to do (or at least pretend to do) actual work. :-p

Anonymous said...

I am getting the feeling that this job isn't going to be good for your blogging career. It sounds sort of boring. Like, REALLY BORING.

Anonymous said...

I was just remembering something...

In my very first job at BU, one of the first things that my supervisor informed me of was the need to look busy without actually being busy, and using the internet without getting caught by the dean. i was actually EVALUATED on those skills.

I hope your job gets more exciting.

Anonymous said...

Tom seriously, all your jobs seem really boring and restrictive. What's up with that?