Wednesday, May 24, 2006

My life is so much harder than yours...

I just started a new job. It pays a lot better than my old one, but to get here on time I need to wake up an hour and a half earlier than I used to. That's a lot.

The MBTA has just switched the station closest to my house from the old token-driven system over to the new CharlieTicket system which means I need to purchase a small stored-value card some mornings to use at the station. Because this has to be done though an automated, easy-to-navigate, computerized vending machine this adds like thirty seconds on to my morning commute.

I arrive at work. For almost two weeks there has been nothing to do here at the new job. I struggle to keep myself occupied. (This would not be a struggle if AIM were allowed.) This game of "finding ways to keep busy" is also hindered by the company's firewall which blocks a staple: espn.com (fyi: gmail, hotmail, yahoomail, ebay, and gunsnammo.com are not blocked).

After six and a half to seven hours of this (with a one hour break for lunch)(and at least one fifteen minute break for coffee) I have to make my way back homeon the train. The stations near the office have not switched to the stored value card system yet, however, which means I still need to purchase tokens for my ride home. Two different mediums of exchange for the same transit system! Ridiculous! This makes my life exceedingly difficult.

After the cards/tokens have been sorted out and I arrive home the real hardships begin. I need to make a choice. A hard choice. I need to choose between playing my new Xbox video game, and watching the Red Sox game on NESN (assuming the Red Sox are playing). On the one hand, I enjoy playing these video games; on the other, I don't want to miss the baseball game, because I love baseball.

I almost invariably choose the Red Sox, which only leads to regret as I morosely anticipate another evening without console-fueled computer-generated violence and action. I sometimes find myself wishing the Red Sox would just score a few runs, and then get through the game as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, major league baseball games are usually two and a half hours long. That is a long time to wait to play video games.

But. I don't want to just go to bed after the game. My chore then becomes convincing myself to stay up a little later to fit everything in. "It's only midnight, a little RPG action won't hurt." Sometimes my brothers ask me to stay up and watch movies too.

Then I have to try and get just a few hours sleep before it all starts over again. Up an hour earlier, stored-value cards for the train, nothing to do at work. Also, the terminal I was assigned has an old-fashioned two-button mouse with no scroll wheel, and the keyboard is old too; the keys go "clackety-clackety-clack" when I type. But, hey, if it was easy, they wouldn't call it work, am I right?

-t

4 comments:

mance01 said...

you have more time in the evenings now than you used to! What are you whining about? :-p

and how do they watch soccer games in the office, but block espn.com? that seems a little ridiculous. also, visiting gunsnammo.com during your first week of employment is probably not the best idea.

and if not having time to play videogames, making money while being bored out of your socks, and having to spend an extra 30 seconds while getting to use public transportation rather than spending an extra 10 minutes and $35 pumping gas are your biggest problems- your life is not hard.

:-p

Anonymous said...

uh, why don't you have a T pass?

Tom said...

Sam - that's the joke.

Fel - because I started work mid-month. I will have a pass for June.

e$ said...

my life was similarly difficult, except I had to drive to work. Then I got a new keyboard, and it's been heaven ever since.

Really, you lobby for that keyboard my friend - all will be worthwhile.