Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Tax mon

Well, my recruiter sucks.

I told him I liked being challenged, I liked solving problems, that I’m never quite as happy as when I take a situation in which no one knows what is going on and figure out what is going on and how to fix it.

He asks if I like reading and law. I tell him “look at my resume, do you see “studied law in college for fun” on there? No. It says “studied math – MATH.”

So, what does he do? Sets me up with an interview for a position in TAX LAW. wtf, mate.

You know what they do over in tax law? One, crunch numbers (I can do that, I’m good at that, well, actually anybody can do that because Excel is good at that); and Two, read books full of laws!

So, you know what, fine. I went to the interview, because I desperately want out of my current job, and also they were promising a 25% increase in salary which means I can finally afford my dream of owning an original Street Fighter II Turbo arcade game.

I sit down, pleasantries are exchanged, and then they start talking about tax law. I am pretty sure I dozed off during the introductions. That’s not to say tax law isn’t fascinating stuff when presented by a short dark man with a heavy Jamaican accent, it could just be that I was tired.

But, worse than being boring, are the hours. The “busy season” begins in September and ends in April. Listen, folks, if the “season” lasts eight months of the year that’s “normal” and the rest of the time is the “un-busy season.”

Also, it appears every day nine a.m. to four p.m. qualifies as “un-busy” when your “busy season” typically means six-day workweeks from nine a.m. to ten p.m.

That’s eight months of sixty-plus hours a week.

The highlight of the interview came when the head of the department described his commitment to the job:

“Will you come in here and give 110%? 120%? I do. When you devote your life to this job, like I do, it’s about dedicating your life, your time, to this group. And what do you get in return? I say to you ‘In ten years you should be sitting in this chair.’ and you have two choices, work hard to achieve it, or get kicked out the door.”

Good. Now reread that with a heavy Jamaican accent. Also, it should be noted “And what do you get in return?” was a rhetorical question, but the answer is apparently worth your time, your life, and a mathematically impossible percentage of your effort.

-t

10 comments:

Johnny Sapphire said...

Damn, that's a bitch.

Donny said...

Why don't you become an actuary?

Anonymous said...

wow. for a second there i thought you were describing MY job.
KT <-- having crappy, long day

mance01 said...

It could just be that it's 3:15 AM, but Tax Mon...HAHAHAHAHAHHAA! *dries eyes* man, that's good stuff. :)

Anonymous said...

You definitely need more than one recruiter. All they care about is getting their commission. Be aggressive and don't go on interviews for jobs you don't want. If you want something math oriented you'll probably have to stay in finance.

Tom said...

I don't want something math oriented!

You know those people that talk about their jobs and say "I never imagined I'd be doing ____ with my degree!"

I want to be one of those people.

Anonymous said...

tom - welcome to my world.

adina: i was an english major.
random person: what do you do now?
adina: I work in cancer research.

Anonymous said...

I would think twice before "devoting your live, your time" to taxes.

Anonymous said...

i know i've mentioned it before... but with consulting... your job pretty much changes every 6-10 months. if you want in my company i'll split the finders fee with you.

and the job you just described sounds like an investment banker, minus reading law books.

Tom said...

rosy, I'm in. maybe. send me some info? job description, required experience/degree/etc... I'm looking for anything, and I do like change

Also...does anyone else think I'm vastly underqualified for, you know, any professional position anywhere? my top three skills are juggling, ping pong, and quoting star wars.