Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Publish

I am more convinced than ever that I should get a book deal. You hear about bloggers hitting it rich with the contracts and the advances and the “I’m going to take a few weeks off from the ‘blog proper’ to concentrate on my writing.” Ha.

First of all, “writers,” don’t neglect the blog. It’s what got you there. You should be wracked with guilt over saving juicy tidbits of gossip and the cleverest of anecdotes for your “book.” The stories you used to publish on the blog, the ones that got you the book deal, you’re now keeping from your readers? Is that anyway to reward their faithful devotion? (No. It isn’t.)

Anyway, that’s neither here nor there. I don’t begrudge you your publishing contract, as far as I’m concerned there are plenty to go around. Take a look at the new releases next time you’re in a giant national chain bookstore, I wouldn’t read half of them, but they keep getting published.

So it’s ok. I’m not going to buy your book, because that’s not the stuff I read. Hell, I won’t even buy my book, it’ll be full of trivial nonsense, because that’s what I write. But somebody must be reading them.

So, where’s my blogbook contract!?
-t

No comments: