Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Jokes that aren't funny shouldn't be called jokes

Ok, so do you remember when I told you I don’t like using profanity or repeating negative or derogatory comments? No matter. I’m offering this little disclaimer just to state that I don’t enjoy writing or repeating things of this nature, but felt, in this instance, that I should, so you know what goes on around here.

This is a new development. The stupid kid is interacting with other people. The last time this happened he asked the VP’s secretary if she and her sister were twins from a split egg.

Today he started talking with Jonathan, the opie&anthony fan. Jonathan has a dark sense of humor, sure enough dark humor became the topic of conversation. The conversation was taking place a few cubes away, far enough that I could only hear the highlights. Highlights like

Stupid kid: oh, I’ve got a good one [too low to hear]
Jonathan: oh. Um, wow. That’s...that shouldn’t be repeated. That’s a mean thing to think.

He trumped Jonathan. Then the conversation moved over to Jonathan’s desk, across from mine, where Jonathan started to put his coat on and get the hell out of here so he wouldn’t be associated with Stupid kid. This is the guy that routinely makes jokes about child molestation. Stupid kid caught up with him to say

Stupid kid: Oh, I’ve got another one: What do you tell a woman with two black eyes?
Jonathan: ‘Nothing, you’ve already told her twice.’ That’s a good one, you should have led with that. [quietly] Of course you can only say that to me, you know? That’s another one you can’t say, around here, you know, H-R…some people might take offense.
Stupid kid: Yeah, well, I did have a good one, though.

Well folks. I take offense. I don’t enjoy the jokes, and I already hate the stupid kid; this does nothing to redeem his character in my eyes. I don’t know what his first joke was, I don’t want to know. All I can do is draw the same conclusions I’ve been drawing: He doesn’t understand the social relationships that normal people have. He didn’t check with anyone within earshot before repeating the jokes, like me, or the VP’s secretary. He seemed to revel in this dark humor, and Jonathan’s familiarity with it. Jonathan knows enough to not say anything unless he knows you, knows you won’t be offended, because he doesn’t mean it, he really is only joking. He’s considerate enough to ask if you’ll be offended before offending you. Stupid kid is…stupid.

I’m more disgusted than angry.

No comments: