Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Light

Maybe I’m going about this all wrong.

Maybe everyone hates working here. Maybe it’s my job to bring light and happiness into this place.

Maybe I’m supposed to let my optimism and sunny outlook shine down into the lives of these cubicle dwellers, to provide them with a spark of life, to counteract the dreariness that sets in.

Am I supposed to be a beacon of sanity here in this whorl of stupid, dull, repetitive, nonsense they call “work”? Is that my job?

Maybe. And on days like today I feel like I can fulfill that role, that I can brighten up these days with little more effort than wishing it. I can change the world, one office at a time.

It should be noted, however, that these days most often occur on the day after I’ve skipped work and had a bottle of wine at lunch, or suffered some such similar injury to my person.

-t

recommended download:
Fountains of Wayne, Barbara H.

No comments: