Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Housesitting Connection

Two points: (1) John needs a housesitter. and (2) I'm going to the Matt Nathanson concert next week, John's coming too, he picked up the tickets today.


So, John needs a housesitter. He posted an ad online. He got some responses, and set up some interviews. I was there for the interviews to help give a second opinion on the candidates (see previous posts).

After picking the best one, John offered her the gig. Moments after the interview, as luck would have it, some friends of hers invited her to Thanksgiving dinner. So she cancelled. She was, however, the best of the bunch, so John's been emailing her back and forth trying to work something out. Maybe a few days here, a few days there, instead of eleven in a row. John was kind enough to forward me the last email from John to the housesitter. I'm paraphrasing: "I hope we can work something out, let me know if this works for you, or send me a quick email if it won't. Thanks!"

THEN as a very clever post script (quoting):

"P.S. On a side note, my friend Tom (who was at the apartment when you came over) is trying to find someone to go with him to Matt Nathanson on Friday. He won tickets in some raffle and I told him I'd help find him a date. "

Great. Thanks John. Aside from being L-A-M-E and totally corny it's also a lie. I did not win tickets to the concert, I bought 'em. And I was not looking for a date, I was going anyway.
On the other hand, there's no way I would say "no" to a date... So thanks, John, good work, and  wouldn't it be nice if it worked out? (Yes.)

-t

recommended download:
Ted Nugent, Great White Buffalo
and
MXPX, Chick Magnet    


UPDATE, (10/18/2005): She has a boyfriend. Which everybody suspected. As John said: “Yeah, the hot grad student personal trainer is single –  right.”
    

7 comments:

mance01 said...

That is a rockin' good friend. Way to be, John :) I hope it works out!! (Fingers crossed.)

Anonymous said...

you should be going tomorrow!

Tom said...

why? I can stay out late friday, becuase it's the weekend.

Anonymous said...

so, if i may ask, what exactly are this girl's housesitting creds? does she have extensive experience in the housesitting industry? does she have an array of credible references backing up her stellar performance in prior sittings? does she cook, clean, put out fires, kill rodents and fold laundry? is she registered in CPR and emergency response? OR... does she have a great rack and make you give high-fives when you think of her hanging out in your house? just wondering.

Tom said...

To all of your questions prior to "great rack" the answer is yes, including an up-t0-date CPR certificate. To the "great rack" question, I'd like to say I am shocked, shocked and appalled, because I am a man of honor, not some low-life. That said, it does happen that she is very pretty. So, in addition to being the perfect house sitting candidate, she is also a very good girlfriend candidate. And it's John's apt. Not mine. I'd only go over to check in, make sure she wasn't having any trouble, or burnt the place down, you know? Even hot athletic trainer grad students get lonely sometimes.

Johnny Sapphire said...

i tried man. who's working for ya?

Tom said...

indeed. as I said, it is appreciated.