Monday, September 26, 2005

Lonelyland

If you did have a million dollars, what would you do with your life?

Every few weeks I ride in to work on a nearly-empty train. When I arrive at my station I am the only one to take the Dover St. exit as I leave the station. When I step into my building, I am the only one in the long entrance hallway. It is just at this point that I begin to doubt and second-guess, because the building should not be empty. “Is today a bank holiday?” “Did I come in to work on a Saturday?” and similar questions tug at my mind.

I wouldn’t need a million dollars. All I would need is a reprieve from obligation. In those few steps in that empty hallway, I think happy thoughts. “I’ll just keep walking to the other exit, out the doors, I’ll find a nice coffee shop, and finish reading my book.” That would be the absolute highlight of the week for me. A unexpected day to read.

About this time is when I see someone cross the other end of the hallway, when I realize business is open today, that my book will have to wait until the homeward commute. Oh well, it would have been nice to skip out. But not today.

-tom

recommended download:
Marcy Playground, Sex & Candy

No comments: