Thursday, September 29, 2005

Breaking plans

I’ve been making a lot of plans lately. I have a plan for this weekend, and a plan to drive to Milwaukee.

That’s right, two plans is “a lot.”

Plan one: Saturday: drinking with friends, enticing other friends to come party with us. It’s a simple plan. Simple plans have higher success rates.

Plan two: (Donny take notes) BIG DRIVE OH FIVE: Tuesday night, make lots of sandwiches, pack cooler with sandwiches and drinks. Get lots of sleep. Wednesday morning place cooler in front seat of truck. Place duffle bag with clothes in back seat of truck. Lower tailgate (to offer less wind resistance). Drive to Chicago.

Note: Wednesday is an “extra” travel day. Originally I’d planned one marathon drive from Boston to Milwaukee, but then someone informed me that would take almost 24 hours of straight driving, and I’d rather not fall asleep at the wheel. So, if I get tired Wednesday I can pull over and crash for a few hours (or more if needed) in some shady highway motel, then get back on the road Thursday for a much shorter (comparatively) trip.

Arrive in Chicago either Thursday very early in the AM, or Thursday in the early PM. Sleep for hours. Call people I know in Chicago, possibly meet up for dinner or drinks. Don’t judge me. Sleep (again) in Chicago.

Meet Donny Friday AM in Chicago, see the sights. Drive to Milwaukee.

Spend weekend in Milwaukee, brewery tours, cheese, cheese and more cheese.

Monday AM drive to Boston.

Arrive in Boston sometime Tuesday.

Wednesday, “work.”

That’s a hell of a lot of planning. Also, it would be helpful if you readers could point out any flaws in my plan. Things like “um, it takes 40 hours to drive to Milwaukee” or other such temporal miscues would be especially appreciated.

bam.
-tgme


recommended download:
Chuck Berry, Louie, Louie

8 comments:

Donny said...

Have you mapquested the trip yet to see the number of hours and then calculated the time it would take at your average speed?

I don't want to say that your thinking is flawed and your plan is physically impossible, but I would like to point out that after such a drive you may be miserable. Especially when you come to realize that you have to do it again within the week. However the only stressful parts of the trip are Chicago and Connecticut, and if those are planned appropriately you can greatly reduce the stress.

Do you have any specifics about Chicago, like where you plan to stay? If you think you may get a hotel, I might like to come down Thursday night and hang out.

Johnny Sapphire said...

have you worked out when you're calling that chick from chicago yet?

Anonymous said...

Julie Chicago!

Hey, we're going to Our House this weekend. Most likely Saturday b/c today I can barely stand up. Anyone who wants to meet "pretty girl" is welcome.

Tom said...

oh, right. thanks john, I almost forgot about her. maybe I'll call her for dinner or something thursday night.

donny, there's a chick in chicago I'd like to call. maybe I'll call her for dinner or something thursday night. it's possible I can crash at her apt. free thurs. I was thinking about getting a hotel room for friday though.
any thoughts on what to do friday? meet in the am see the sights? come in afternoon go drinking? leave friday night for milwaukee, or saturday morning? lots of stuff is up in the air, which is just the way I like it. (because I'm a juggler) also, I may let you drive my truck to milwaukee, if you ask nicely. hahahaha.

cascadingly,
tom

Donny said...

"a chick"? Would the pope approve of that language?

I think you/we should end up in Milwaukee by late Friday afternoon, so that we can go on the brewery tour at 6. That tour is also on Saturday, but it's much better on Friday night with the free-flowing taps and polka band.

As for Chicago, I can take the train down there and meet you on Thursday night or Friday morning - especially if you need alonetime in Chicago. Who is this girl and how do you know her?

Tom said...

Her name is Julie Chicago, we made out one time at a bar here in Boston when she was in for the weekend, and has been txting me since inquiring when, exactly, am I coming out to chicago to see her. and I figured, it's on the way, right? who wouldn't drive to chicago to see a chick. the pope maybe. even though his pope-mobile probably gets great mileage.

chicks dig pontifs.

Anonymous said...

No, we don't.

Anonymous said...

hahaha!

I'm laughing at the joggler joke.

Good one, Tom.