Friday, August 12, 2005

Ah, just as I suspected...

Hello, readers. Happy friday. How have you been? I must admit, I was a little dissapointed by the lackluster response to the muppet post. I was actually quite surprised; judging solely by the number of comments it would appear you all love Gilmore Girls more than The Muppets. I, personally, feel this is a tradgedy, as the Muppets should rank at least as high, on almost any scale, as the Gilmore Girls.

But I'm not here to criticize your likes and dislikes, nor chastise you in a manner suggesting your childhood was poor and terrible because you clearly were not exposed to enough muppetry or encouraged to love the whimsical worlds created by Jim Henson. No, rather, I am here to talk about something else entirely...

So, people like me. [This is our first premise.] How do I know this? Inference. People do not (usually) run away when the see me coming. Often, people actually seek me out. Therefore, I am not unliked.
People like doing things. [No illustration here, we live in a world where people do things, and I firmly believe that many of these things would not get done if people didn't like to do them. Like juggling. Nobody does that if they don't like it.]

The question, then, is this: Why does it seem, sometimes, that if people like to do things, and people like me, people do not like to do things with me?

Case in point: Julie - college friend, invited to umpteen (umpteen, really...I kept track) outings with yours truly. Attended a grand total of none of said outings. Which is ridiculous.

Case in point (2): Pretty Girl At Work - When asked do dinner, by me, she said "ok, when?" and then did not ever have dinner with me.

Case in point (3): L-dog - invited to movies (again, with me), and the postponed. Actually, postponing is not quite the same thing, and L-dog (I firmly believe) is not thinking about avoiding me, she is just busy, so this example really doesn't count at all, but I thought an argument with only two cases seemed a bit weak so I threw an irrelevant case three in here.

Conclusion: Something is clearly wrong with people who do not wish to spend time with me doing things.

I blame the media. (and the parents, for not instilling the appropriate amount of love and apprecaition for the muppets)(and also violent vido games, like GTA) (oh, and also the violence inherent in the system...help help I'm bein' repressed!)

Cascadingly,
Tom

recommended downloads:
Cake, Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps and Satan Is My Motor
and Marcy Playground, Bye-Bye

3 comments:

Donny said...

Maybe people don't like you because you don't use spellcheck. It really is a tragedy. And too many commas.

I was at a bar the other night with a group of people and a stranger came up to the group. His pick-up line to the girls was, "So, do any of you watch the Gilmore Girls?" It was funny. And if the girls weren't already taken, it probably would have worked.

Anonymous said...

donny, it's true. there is a little dislike in my heart for tom because he doesn't use spell check. and also because he is stuck in the comma rut - always the comma, never the semicolon.

and if a man (or woman) walked up to me at a bar and fed me that line, well...let's just say the phrase "hook line and sinker" would be used multiple times.

learn from those who teach, tom.

Tom said...

um, yeah, can I point out there is a semi-colon in this post? Can I? I will. First paragraph, following "quite surprised" BAM!

also, where is this spelling mistake?