Thursday, June 02, 2005

oh good lord, is this...WORK?

Yes. Work. LOTS OF WORK.

Listen, I don't know where you're coming from, but this isn't what I signed up for. No sir. No sir, thank you, it is not.

You want me to work? I apologize, I'm just not getting this: Come in (on time). Turn on computer. Do productive and professional things efficiently without a break or slacking off until quitting time. Really. I mean, really. Really?

I'm stymied. *** *** ***

I'm working A TON now. This isn't really what I signed up for...but I guess this is what they think I signed up for, or what they think I can handle... and don't get me wrong here, I can totally handle it...but just barely. Barely.

Like, this is Work-To-The-Max. You know that bit Seinfeld does, about extra-strength pain-killers? "Extra-strength, advanced-strength, pretty soon it'll be 'figure out what will kill me...and then back it off a little bit." Yeah, that's where I am now.

HOW MUCH WORK CAN BE CRAMMED INTO ONE SEVEN POINT SEVEN FIVE HOUR DAY?

GUUAAAAUUUGGGHHHHHH!

Folks, it's a lot of work. Zero downtime. None. I probably won't even sign on today. Like, at all. I might have to eat lunch at my desk today, if I have enough time to leave the building to get lunch. THERE IS SO MUCH TO BE DONE!

a quick synopsis: Manager's called for jury duty, Chuck has the day off, Blitzen's last day was yesterday, Booger will probably call in AGAIN (sidenote: just learned that he is on his second probationary period, what the hell is going on there), leaving four of us plus one manager (the one who didn't quit and isn't at jury duty, the one who doesn't know anything about budgets, feeders, or expenses and guess-what-no-don't-guess-I'll-tell-you the work I am doing is soley budgets feeders and expense related so he'll be almost no help) four of us, from an original staff of twelve to do the regular work of twelve plus budgets - without - the manager that knows budgets and basically did most of the tricky ones himself.

I'm amazed. Please tell me you people out there don't like, do this amount of work on a regular basis. I could probably only handle this for like, two days of the year, and really only if the next day was a vacation day plus my birthday, or you know, if I'm going to a Red Sox game right after work and then the weekend. (by the way, today after work I'm going to a Red Sox game, and then it's the weekend.)

BAM

-Tom
recommended download:
The Eagles, Take It Easy (I was watching the Eagles Farewell Tour last night ;)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do that amount of work on a daily basis. Actually, I do at least 9 hours of non-stop work almost every day. And I don't get overtime. I only get really depressed when I hit the 12 hour mark.

Such is the wonderful world of advertising.

Anonymous said...

I get in at 7AM.

I work until noon. Sometimes I break to ask my manager a question. It is almost always work related. I usually hold my pee in until after lunch. If I have to poop, I do that immediately.

At noon, I heat up my Lean Cuisine and eat at my desk. Usually at this time everyone comes in with "quick questions". Though quick, twenty five minute questions equals the end of my lunch period.

I work until 4:30PM. Sometimes my manager makes me leave at 4PM. She makes me leave because I have this crazy look in my eye. And I'm wearing a side ponytail (the side ponytail is to emphasize the cray look in my eye).

I almost never check LJ/blog anymore let alone post. I keep myself motivated by truly believing that (while not the smartest) I am the most efficient creature in the entire universe. I also sometimes eat pretzels. That helps me keep motivated as well.

My advice to you would be to SUCK IT UP.

Tom said...

update: I finished my budget by 12:30. this afternoon will be busy, but not super extra busy. I will make it to the sox game. All I had to do is skip my lunch break. I am now heading out to grab a sandwhich at wendy's that I hope won't lean cuis-suck. hahahaha

-love,
Tom

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA bite me.

Tom said...

you know what I'm thinking now? -especially you advertising peeps-
you all should have been math majors.

-t

Anonymous said...

Nah--we enjoy having a purpose in life.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm a media planner, so I have to tolerate numbers.

Secretly, I'm in media for the pretty DMA maps they send us.