Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Post No Bills

Not much of a post today. I'm learning a new fund. It's not especially difficult, but it is especially time consuming. It's just what I need.

Also, today I was feeling a bit down. Not a lot, and not for long, but a bit down. So I decided to walk over to the nearby sporting goods store and look at baseball gloves, because, why not get a new one, right? Anyway, there were one or two I might have given some serious consideration, and only $50. When I came back to work I mentioned it to my manager who then mentioned that my senior manager had played college ball, he'd caught for four years. And you'll never guess where. The same school my brother goes to. Small world.

So anyway, I might buy a baseball glove. I'm looking at a Rawlings infielder's glove. But the Nike's aren't too bad either... I will, of course, keep you posted.

-Tom
recommended downloads:
Our Lady Peace, Neon Crossing
Ben Kweller, Wasted And Ready

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My God, the excessive apostrophes!!!

Tom said...

they aren't excessive!

Anonymous said...

"Nike's".

Excessive.

Geeze.

Tom said...

First of all. if that is excessive, which it isn't, it's only one excessive apostrophe, not multiple apostrophes. Second, if the apostrophe wasn't there it would be pronounced incorrectly: "nikes" (rhymes with "bikes").

And third and last of all, you could do some cutting down on use of exclamation points yourself. So maybe you should think about backing off. I know I'd've if I were you. (that's right. a double contraction. how's that for excessive apostrophes? hmm?)

-tom

Anonymous said...

Your second argument is irrelevant - if that were true, then everyone would say Nike (as in Bike) instead of Nike (as in Mikey). Also, while we're picking at your grammar, "if the apostrophe wasn't" should be the subjunctive "if the apostrophe weren't." Lasty, is "I'd've" even a word?

Can anyone tell I am not in the mood to focus on work today?

Tom said...

Good catch, I skipped over the subjunctive tense in my haste to post a reply. "I'd've," though, is totally a word. It is, however, possible that I mis-apostrophed it. Double contractions may only receive one apostrophe - but then my joke wouldn't work ;)

on the other hand, I don't know how to read either of these:
I'dve
Id've
similar to the double contraction "shouldn't've" which may be "shouldnt've" but I'm not certain, and also, who cares? The more apostrophes the better. That's what I say. That would be the sweet.

-Tom

Anonymous said...

"I'd've" can't be a word--you can't make a triple contraction (I would have).

"Nike" is a brand name. The singular form is "Nike". The plural form is "Nikes" ("Man, I have so many pairs of Nikes"). The posessive is "Nike's".

You're probably one of those people who calls Pepsi "Coke".

Tom said...

I call Pepsi "Pepsi."

-T'om