Wednesday, April 13, 2005

This is not a good place for me.

When I left for lunch today I put on my jacket, as usual, and then, I picked up my bag, looked at my desk for a second, then slung it over my shoulder and headed for the door. I left with my bag because I was thinking about not coming back. This is not a place I usually get to, though I have been here before. This is not a good place for me.

It's not the work. There is a lot of it, but I could probably finish it all on time if I decided to do so, I have the ability. It's not the atmosphere, today has been nice, no one complaining, no bone-head managerial decisions, no obnoxious coworkers. I must have been the trip. No doubt I'm a little tired, catching up on sleep was never a goal. Exhaustion is a likely contributor to my current disposition. More than that, though, I blame the wonderfulness of the trip. I met some very great people down there in Texas. I've said before, I've never met a Texan I didn't like, and I stand by that. I blame the four wonderful days I spent in the central time zone. They made me realize, or maybe helped me to remember, that there are more important things, and most importantly, that I'm happiest experiencing those things.

Contributing to another's well-being, especially a friend's; Spending all day in the warm sunshine and light breeze of a spring day. Sitting and watching a baseball game without worrying about what's going on at work, or caring what your supervisor thinks; Meeting new people and understanding each other right away, and then laughing, because you all think the same things are funny. Enjoying life is more important. I find it very difficult to come back to work after a weekend of real happiness.

-T
recommended downloads:
Our Lady Peace, Happiness Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch and Life
Lucky Boys Confusion, Atari

No comments: