Friday, March 04, 2005

semicolon, hypen, end parenthesis

Smiley faces should not be used in company emails. :-)

But today, that's what I feel like doing. For quite a few reasons. But first, a little about my day.
Today on the train were the two cutest little girls to ever exist in the history of the world. Riding in on the orange line with their mother, three and a half, and two years old in little winter coats and little scarves and little boots with cute little dimples counting down stops. "twooo more!" and one girl's courdoroys had flowers on them and the other's jacket had flowers, and they had pictures that they drew with them with cute little handwriting. just adorable. also the littler one's name was Dora, and she had little gloves with her name on them in sparkles and she couuldn't get al her fingers into the gloves, she kept getting two stuck in one of the gloves fingers, a-dorable.

Then meeting at work 10AM sharp so I didn't even open excel or look at my funds, just threw up an away message and went to the meeting. Which was pretty good. Until right at the end when one of the manager's mentioned the hyper-six-coffee-a-day manager isn't in today, so it may seem less stressful, or some lighthearted comment like that. At which point Amy busted out laughing. Out loud. Which causes the rest of the group to start laughing too. I guess they all feel a little stressed with hyper coffee manager hovering over them all the time. busted out laughing because things "might be less stressful today"

And, to cap it all off. As we were coming back from the meeting the prettiest girl in the whole wide world called me over to her cubicle. Not for anything grand or important, just to ask about which of my group is handling which of her funds today (since we rotate the funds frequently). But, she did ask me. And not anyone else in the whole group, as we were all walking past her desk. She did call my name. There were just some adjustments to be made on the funds, and could I please email her when the adjustments were finished, thanks. No problem at all.

Smiley faces do not belong in company emails.
But man I felt like typing one in there. ;-)
They're just not really professional, you know? So I didn't. Ah well.
On the other hand, her "THANKS SO MUCH!" reply did seem a little, well, a little excited.

-Tom :-Þ

recommended download:
Flogging Molly, Whistles The Wind, Drunken Lullabies, and Every Dog Has His Day

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i always put smiley faces in my work emails, if someone has done something really nice for me or if i am asking a giganto favor (hey johnny, why don't you PILFER props on "giganto" too while you're on your PROPS PILFERING HIGH).

i only send them to girls, and never to doctors. one time someone linked me to numerous smiley faces. i did huge favors for her for that.

Tom said...

adina, besides use or non-use of smiley faces, we've nothing in common, you're a girl, I'm a guy, you don't like video games, I think they're awesome, you're asian and jewish, I'm irish and catholic, you're short, I'm tall, you're in philly, I'm in boston I could go on all day

but I like to think that our differnces make us friends. I know I probably couldn't stand someone exactly like me. ;)

smilingly,
Tom

ps are you sure john didn't come up with "hilario"?

Anonymous said...

AMAZO. (the blog) Feb. 15th...check it out....use of the word "hilario" dating prior to Adina's "invention" of the word

Donny said...

Man, the blog-police are everywhere. We have to get Charley into a law school of some sort quick. I'm afraid to leave comments with him cruising the blog circuit.