Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Dublin

Well, I've wanted to go to Dublin for a while, sort of a "yeah it would be nice to go, I've heard it's a really nice place" want. But I've never wanted to go more than when I was in Rome. It may have been due to the fact that I was in Italy, oh so close to the rest of europe, it may have been that the only alcohol we drank over there was wine, and while it wasn't bad wine, it certainly wasn't guiness, or it may just have been that the music I had with me on the trip was Flogging Molly, who technically are an irish rock band from california, but it's irish rock, and everybody knows that's from either dublin or boston, and I've seen boston.

But man, I certainly wouldn't want a whirlwind sightseeing tourist trip to Dublin. That would be the worst thing ever. We were in Rome for a week and saw something like sixty of the 900 churches plus the ancient ruins plus the food plus bus trip to pompei, plus mass at st. peter's plus mass at st. susanna's etc etc etc etc. We were running around for the whole week. No, when I go to Dublin it should go something like this:
irish guy "welcome to dublin"
me "thanks, does dublin have 'sights'?"
irish guy "well, sure, I can show 'em to you if you like"
me "no sights, where's the nearest pub?"
irish guy, smiling "right this way"

That would be cool. Sit, relax, divide my time between resting and drinking at a pub. And that would be all, a real vacation. Ah, Dublin.

-Tom

No comments: