Monday, March 28, 2005

Bloomberg's in Spanish

So the bloomberg terminal is now in spanish. the functions are all the same, everything's in the same place, but now all the menus and commands are in spanish. We can still use it, I, for one, understand a little spanish, and the group, as a whole, knows where the menu items we use all the time are located, so things haven't slowed down. They've just been in spanish.

It's sort of funny. Every couple hours I sit down over there and start poking around, looking for the command that controls what language the menus are in. I haven't found anything that looks like "settings" or "idioma" so it's still in spanish.

This episode has made me realize how valuable my three semesters of foreign language were not. It's also made me aware that my affinity for software is not limited by my native tongue, but my ability is. therefore, I am going to make a half-hearted effort to use computers in other languages. I'm sure that if I don't have to go out of my way to do so, it will still happen.

This reminds me of the time my sister changed my cell phone display to hebrew. That lasted two weeks.

-Tom

No comments: