Friday, February 18, 2005

Why I love corporate america (today)

I found a guy who knows what he's doing. It is a breath of fresh air. He's part of the audit team, sort of in our group, but not really. He is a link in the archive chain, in charge of getting boxes and labels for our group. So I went over today to ask for some boxes and labels, and to determine if we already have a supply here in the office to use. And then, he said he believed we've switched over to a new archiving system, no more boxes or labels through him. and that's when the girl across from him leaned over and said, "actually, we're still using labels, we switched through a different format." and he said "oh, ok, I was wrong." I was wrong. That is incredible. Just incredible. I was so excited to hear that I almost started a carthwheel (but I didn't). He said "let me call the supply manager about the labels, we can have them for you tuesday, and I know where you sit, so I'll check on the boxes and let you know." Al-right.

This brings two points into relief:
1. first, how much does it suck in corporate america that one "I was wrong" evinces such a strong positive reaction? (is envinces a word? what the hell word is supposed to go there?). corporate america sucks a lot. which brings me to point two, why I love it
2. even though it sucks, there are still people who don't suck working there. the second point is that I should be trying to open up a little, try to discover who these people are - it really brightens up a day when you know the person or people you'll be working with are competent, willing, and not corporate stooges. you know what I'm talking about.

-Tom
recommended download
Queen: The Show Must Go On

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the word is invoke.

build social capital! talk to your work colleagues! whoooo!