Tuesday, February 15, 2005

not Valentine's night, Beanpot night!

Way to go BU. here are some quick thoughts on the game. BU jumped out to a quick 2-0 and made me, and everyone else, think they were going to walk away with this one. Then in the second period Northeastern got a goal (which, I think should have been stopped, but somebody help me out here: Curry got beat glove side, was that the shoulder that he separated? because it looked like he should have stopped that goal.) Anyway, Northeastern came out really hungry in the third period and got a bounce to tie the game up. I don't think it ever would have happened, except with about six minutes left BU started playing conservative hockey. "let's not try and score, let's just keep them from scoring" that is no way to win a tournament, as evidenced by the NU goal with 2 minutes left. That leaves the game tied at 2-2 and sends it into overtime. And it was a well played overtime. Northeastern came out with their goal-scoring line led by captain Gurrierra, BU did the same, goalscoring line. The Terriers dominated play for four minutes I think without a line change, and led shots on net 6-3. Then BU decided to rest its starters and put out a different line who basically iced the puck whenever they touched it, for about four minutes. Then, with the starters rested BU put them back on the ice and pushed play back into the Huskies zone. Then a quick shot from left wing off the goalie's pad, rebound shot by the center off the post kicked out to the right cirlce where Bourque rifled one into an undefended net. Game over. Way to go terriers.

Ok, so last night, out of a possible two long shots, one short shots, and one sure shot, only one came through. I had (almost) asked that girl out again. I think she gave me an opening. I swear, I'm getting better at spotting them, this time I realized it was an opening only like three minutes after the conversation. Anyway, I think she gave me an opening, and I missed it, but it's ok, cuz next time I'll be on the look out for one. That was a long shot, didn't come through. Then Kate got tickets to the beanpot. and man what a game. otherwise we were all going to meet at whitehorse to watch the game. instead they went to the fleetcenter. that was a short shot, but I would never, ever, ever begrudge anyone a chance at live hockey. and man what a game. and the other long shot was that the cute waitress would be working at whitehorse, the one that hit on donny a couple weeks ago. no dice, though. instead I got the hovering waitress of doom. she didn't give me more than thirty seconds between "are you all set honey?" "do you want another drink sweetie?" "have you made up your mind honey?" she was talking like Dot the fifty year old waitress at the 24 diner with all the honeys sweeties and, she may have called me "doll" once too. not a moment's peace.

And then the game ended and I had to take the T home. the green line, second stop, two homeless guys got on, clearly they knew each other, and sat next to me. Then, for three stops the bigger one, with the beard, who was on my right just mumbled a lot and tried to hug the smaller one, on his right. The smaller one proceeded to whack the bearded one in the face with his folded up newspaper. All the while both of them swaying drunkenly with the motion of the train. They got off at Arlington.

Then waiting for the Orange Line at Downtown Crossing a sketchy looking vendor with a giant plastic bag full of valentine balloons was trying to hustle passengers while two crazy guys yelled at each other at the end of the platform. Then one of the crazy guys bought a balloon and gave it to a girl sitting on one of the benches. then he left.

the weirdos really come out at night on the orange line.

Happy Beanpot BU.

-Tom

2 comments:

Donny said...

I miss hockey. I also miss experiencing the people of public transportation.

Tom said...

you miss hockey? you're like right next door to minnesota, the hockey capital of the country! when you get a chance drive over to MN and catch a game. They're as crazy as New Englanders about hockey, and rightly so. Go BU!

ps. for those following: Harvard won the women's beanpot. good job ladies.