Saturday, December 25, 2004

Bored Games

Growing up we played a lot of board games: Candyland, Snakes and Ladders, Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit, Parcheesi, Clue, Guess Who...

Last year for Christmas I got Risk. It's a game we didn't have while I was growing up, it was a game we didn't play. So we tried playing. This is back when I was in college, when I had a three week winter break to figure try and figure out. We got through half of one game, Timmy, Danny, and I. The whole break, half a game. That was all I've seen of the game since.

Today, we busted out Risk. Reread all the directions, doled out the battalions, the territory cards, the adventure cards, rolled die, invaded, attacked, won, lost. We started the game at 11:00 AM. Right now the game is sitting on the dining room table, mid-turn. We didn't finish. It's a tough game.

My roommate (ex-roommate for you sticklers) Tom (yes, also named Tom, for those who don't know) (no, please don't make juice guy jokes, they're not actually funny) played Risk growing up. Last Christmas (the same Christmas I got Risk) he received Risk 2025, a futuristic Risk game, which includes territories on the moon, and uninhabitable territories resulting from the third nuclear world war. Tom, Donny, and I played when we got back to school.

Tom kicked our ass.

Well, mine anyway, he may have kicked Donny's ass too, but I don't really remember because I was elminated by my third turn and kind of lost track.

Now we're watching Miracle (man I love this movie) and sitting in the living room surrounded by presents Santa left. Including a Red Sox hat for everyone. (sweet. go sox.) All I'm really hoping for are new guitar strings. That would be nice.

The girls in California, they all look the same to me
They way they take for granted living by the sea
They can be your best friends if you don't expect too much
The girls in California all believe in love -stephen kellogg, she moves in such a way

recommended download: Stephen Kellogg, The America Song, Southern State of Mind, or Pain Comes

4 comments:

Tom said...

I didn't mention that it was Lord of the Rings Risk and that I totally kicked some 16, 13, and 10-year old butt and took over all of middle earth. boo-yah.

-T

Anonymous said...

How could you forget that Ray was there to play Risk 2025 with us too? He was so excited when he was able to send armies to the moon.

Donny

Tom said...

I didn't mention Ray because I think he was the one who eliminated me. stupid Enclave of the Bear

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom, I thought I would post on your Bored Games thread as I was here. Actually I am trying to find boys t shirts blogs, and getting bored looking and thought I would post cos I like your blog. I hope you dont mind. OK, now I've done that I'd better go looking for more boys t shirts. Cool blog Tom!