Monday, July 27, 2009

Ageism

Last Friday was my birthday. I am 27 years old.

I was not served beer last night at the sushi restaurant, because when they carded me, because I ALWAYS get carded, the waitress noticed that my license had expired.

Actually, it had expired two days previous, on my birthday.

Invalid ID? No drinks for you!

Now, I ask you, what, exactly, is the problem with an ID that two days ago proved I was 27? Hmm?

Now that the license has expired I've magically reverse-aged seven years? Who am I, Brad Pitt? (That question is only semi-rhetorical, because I really am mistaken for Brad Pitt almost twice a week.)


To her credit the waitress did feel awfully bad about the policy and comped the table some iced green tea, which was very nice.

On the other hand, the bartender at the Mircale of Science did serve me beer after looking at my ID and saying "Looks like this just expired." Which is exactly how you're supposed to react.


Because an expired license isn't a magical fountain of youth. That's just not how time travel works.

-t

2 comments:

Donny said...

That's why I always move to a new state before my license expires.

Jammer said...

Look out! A month after my license expired, they seemed to issue an APB for me or something. They stopped both my wife's car and mine to give me a stern warning about it.

I've tried online to renew twice, and been to three RMV offices, and called a few cities where they haven't lifted a parking-ticket hold, and it's coming up on two months since the license expired.

I hope the cops don't shoot on-sight at two months.