Monday, October 13, 2008

Axel F.

Suck it, Verizon software!

I've been trying for a while to set custom ringtones on my cell phone. This weekend, I finally got it.

The construction of the custom tone is a piece of cake. Take any mp3 file, upload to an audio editing program, chop it down to the bits you like, add echo, fade in, fade out, whatever you like, save it, transfer it via bluetooth to the phone and then...

Then it gets sticky. Verizon phones ship with crippled software. I can save the bluetooth transfer to my phone under "My Sounds" and play it whenever I want. I cannot, however, set it as a ringtone from the "My Sounds" section of the phone, no, the only way to get a new ringtone is to purchase and download over the air.

Until I figured out the workaround, that is.

Which is, actually, very simple. So simple, in fact, that Verizon really should just let me add the ringtone from My Sounds. All I need to do is select my sound, then send it to myself as an attachment to a text message.

When the txt arrives, it gives me the option to set the sound as a ringtone.

It's this whole other, entirely redundant step, built into the software. I have to send the file to my phone via bluetooth from the computer, then, send it to my phone via txt from my own phone.

Seems a bit ridiculous.

But now I've finally got the Beverly Hills Cop Theme playing for all incoming calls, and I couldn't be happier about it.

-t

PS - Did you know Beverly Hills Cop was the second highest grossing movie in 1984? The first was Ghostbusters. Two SNL alum movies in first and second place at the box office! SNL, how far you've fallen.

2 comments:

craziasian said...

i really want the sheeeeeit from the wire as my ringtone but don't have bluetooth. make this a reality for me tom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrfCixsd2N8

(i have an mp3 of the sheeeit at home too).

Tom said...

What phone do you use? I could probably take an email attachment, convert it to a ringtone, transfer to my phone, and send it as a media-message to your phone, where you probably have the option to "set as ringtone" Something like that may work.