Friday, September 19, 2008

The Inventor Of Carbon-Copies Should Be Punished

Here's a snippy email thread that bounced back and forth today between our new settlements group and the international Vienna team. I am, as usual, caught in the crossfire. Instead of pasting in all the email subjects, headers, signatures, etc, I'm going to parse it for you as a bitchy conversation between coworkers:

Matt: Hi, going forward, can you please email myself and Susan anytime the books are opened so we can avoid booking entries to a prior accounting period? Thanks.

Vance (Vienna): I don't really understand your request. Opening the accounting period is Tom's responsibility, we don't open or close. Can you clarify?

Matt: Vance, this was directed at both you and Tom. If you request the books be opened I just wanted to make sure Susan and I were also on the email so we are aware of it.

Vance: In that case isn't it possible to put your email addresses on the master mailing list?

Matt: No, I don't want to get all of the email concerning every fund in the bank. We only need a heads up if these two funds are being opened.

Vance: And what about setting up a rule in that mailbox to forward all the emails to you in which the subject references these funds, or any coming from my Vienna team? I would like to avoid cc-ing one hundred people in every email. It is so easy to forget someone...

Matt: Fine. I will just have the trades team notify us. Tom, can you please make sure to let us know if the books are opened? Thanks.

Vance: Thanks for that.

No comments: