Monday, May 05, 2008

Strange Brew: Game 1

Played the first game of the season yesterday in the drizzly, swampy, Charlestown muck. Which I loved, because getting to Charlestown is hella more convinient than getting to Dedham for games. Next week we're in Brighton someplace, I think.

We played a good game, only lost by fifteen, in a full game (not shortened by the mercy slaughter rule).

Personally, I went one-for-three with a double (generous scorekeeping by the team captain, really an infield hit with a throwing error), and knocked in a run on a fielders choice. So I'm hitting 0.333 and my OPS is a solid 1.000. Not a bad line for the first game of the season, and I didn't have to go to Arizona to work out all winter (though I should have, I could barely lift my arms after swinging the bat. Thank goodness I play first base, I never would have been able to throw across the diamond).

Speaking of fielding, the right side of our infield is as solid as ever, with our star shortstop making two dramatic double plays (both 6-3) and a few more terrific stops to save extra base hits. The right side of the infield is also as solid as ever (that is, not very solid at all through the second baseman - still having a little trouble catching ground balls...and pop-ups...line drives, relay throws, underhand tosses from the shortstop on double play balls...)

The rest of the team looks good. After a few more innings the outfielders will, no doubt, resume making the spectacular catches we remember from last season, and our pitchers will once again be lights-out (here, of course, I'm speaking of the spotlights used for night games, where their pitches are usually deposited by the opposing batters).

A good first game. Go green team! (we changed colors, green is the new blue).

-t

16

3 comments:

Donny said...

My kickball team is 3-1. I'm definitely taking some credit as a starting pitcher. I think I'm one of the few who has ever rolled a strike.

Tom said...

Excellent, pitching is very important.

Last year our third starting pitcher had an ERA of infinity. He walked five batters in a row, gave up a two-run single, walked another two batters, and was replaced before recording an out.

I'm sure he's glad we track this sort of thing.

Donny said...

I have never walked a kicker. But that's because it's kickball and if I roll 3 balls, they get to kick from the T. And everyone blaims the kicker. However, during the tournament on Saturday, the mud was so bad, that my first roll stopped before home plate. That was embarrassing.