Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Softball Wrapup

Game 3 - I skipped this game to go drinking with some of Sam's friends up from Alabama

Game 4 - Awesome game. We totally had the lead at one point! We were ahead, by like, three runs!

Anyway. I got there a little late and they put me in at shortstop without any warmup which turned out to be a mistake. The first play of the game was a one-bouncer right to me. I fielded it cleanly, and then threw it ten feet up the foul line past first base. Not even close.

I was getting heckled by the guy in centerfield, and when I turned around I realized it was our normal shortstop! So we switched places for the second batter, and I played center for the rest of the game.

In the second inning I made a pretty good catch on a sinking line drive. I'm no Jacboy Ellsbury, but I can get to the ball when I have to.

At the plate we got some pretty great performances. Three home runs ! One out-of-the-park, the other two the leg-'em-out variety.

So, inning-by-inning. The bad guys scored four runs in the first (helped by my initial throwing error), and we got one back in the first.

Then, and this is the really surprising part. We got back-to-back one-two-three innings in the field! We held them for two innings! Meanwhile our offense scored three runs in the third, and three more in the fourth! At the end of the fourth inning we were leading by three runs! A lead! Woo!

Then in the sixth we gave up three to tie the game. No score in the top of the seventh, so we came up to the plate with a chance at a walk-off victory.

I was batting third in the inning. No pressure.

The first guy made an out when the shortstop robbed him of a double on a screaming line drive up the middle. The next batter popped out.

Here I stood. Two outs, bottom of the seventh, tie game. And I....

roped a single up the middle! Woo! Keep the inning alive!

The girl up at the plate behind me grounded out to third.

But we got a quick one-two-three inning in the top of the eigth and in the bottom of the inning hit back-to-back doubles to win it!

So now our record is a very respectable 1-3-0.

Personally I went 3-3 or 3-4 (depending on the official scorer's ruling) with an RBI. I also broke up a double-play in the fourth which allowed a run to score.

-t

10

No comments: