Monday, February 04, 2008

19 and -- Oh. - Superbowl XLII Reaction

The night before the Red Sox played Game 7 of the ALCS against the Cleveland Indians it looked like they might lose.

That series revealed, without a doubt, that the 2007 Cleveland Indians and Boston Red Sox were the best teams in the American League. Identical records, the number one and two finishers in the Cy Young race, offense, defense, bullpen, management.

I had to ready myself for a possible Red Sox loss - and I was able to do it, because the Indians were so good.

I knew that whatever the outcome it wasn't going to come down to a fluke victory or one bad call, or one boneheaded mistake.

Turns out, the Patriots loss in the Superbowl came under the same circumstances. No overtly boneheaded plays, no atrocious calls (a few I'm upset about, but it's no Tuck-Rule Game), and both teams flat-out played.

It was a good, solid game. No miracles, no flukes.

And I'm dissapointed, sure. But if we were going to lose, that's how it had to happen.

So, I'm taking a deep breath, hoping no one at work talks about it too much, and moving on. I still celebrate the AFC Championship. Way to go Pats.

Now, on to baseball season! Ten days until pitchers and catchers!

-t

P.S. - There is no f-ing way I'm ever voting for Menino again. I hope somebody gets fired.

Now I'm really done.

No comments: