Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Left Brain

I used to be smart. Well, I used to appear smart, anyway. I'd go out of my way to stand up straight, enunciate, and ditch the Boston accent. This was around middle school (when I noticed my smart friends sounded retahded when they talked).

And for a while (high school and most of college) people bought it.

Then I graduated, and got lazy. Talk to me now, you'll hear me mumble, in a Boston accent, and surround every pause in my speech with "and...uh's."

Which is too bad. I also suspect my writing has suffered.

The culprit is, as always, my job. Demanding eight straight hours of focused attention doesn't leave room for me to worry (and correct) my own shortcomings. Focusing on numbers doesn't even light up the same side of the brain I want to improve! I'm not even gleaning ancillary benefits from this numbers job. (Only the non-ancillary kind: health insurance, retirement plan, income).

-t

recommended download (that's right! it's back!):
Journey, Wheel In The Sky

No comments: