Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Warning: Don't pick on the little guy

That's it for those of you who doubted: Pedroia's a ballplayer.

Alex Rodriguez made an "unnatural baseball move" on a slide breaking up a double play last night in the Red Sox 7-3 victory over the Yankees, throwing his elbow into Dustin Pedroia's hip as Pedroia attempted a throw to first base.

Was it a cheap slide? In my opinion, no. It was a hard aggressive, yes, slightly unnatural slide, not "honorable" but not "cheap" either.

But, the nice thing about baseball is there's a proven remedy for this very thing: Throw at a guy's face.

Pedroia's post game comment (emphasis added):

"He went in late and kind of threw an elbow. It was a little cheap but no big deal. I’ll remember. I play second base. I’ve got to turn two with the Yankees 19 times a year, so I know now when he’s coming in, my (arm) slot gets dropped to the floor. That’s it."

A-Rod running toward you in the way of a throw? Aim for his head. He won't try it again.

So, here's hoping it's Pedroia, and not Schilling, who gets to deliver the message tonight.

Pedroia concluded: "He probably got carried away but it happens. He was trying to help his team win. I’m just trying to turn a double play. I’ll get killed if I have to. I’m just trying to get that out.

Alex Rodriguez was apparently not available for comment.


-t

No comments: