Thursday, January 18, 2007

Limiting Factors

I think I got a job offer.

My experience in the financial world has been limited to a year and a half at a giant, multinational, publicly-traded, mega-corporation filled with stupid people, and a smaller, are-we-or-aren't-we public or private, SEC-lawsuit-settling, hedge fund firm, with insolent and lazy people.

Recently I've been looking to find a new experience. Ideally one with a small company that employs smart people.

I've been interviewing with a firm that looks promising all this week, and yesterday they said they are prepared to offer me a position.

The didn't offer it to me, but they're prepared to. All communication is being routed through my recruiter.

I hate recruiters - but, again, my experience has been limited to the failed-analyst-turned-recruiter, and the thrice-fired-and-rehired recruiter.

On does nothing but pressure me "If you don't do exactly as I say in this interview you will seriously damage your reputation, burn your bridges, and eliminate any chance of you getting a job in this town ever again."

The other does nothing but call and leave rambling voicemails that eat up my cell minutes. He's like that girl you accidentally gave your real phone number to even though you knew you never wanted to see her again. "Well, ok, just leaving a message to check in. Just to ask if you're still happy with your job. And to see if you're still looking. So, why don't you call me sometime. We can meet in my office. Or maybe somewhere for lunch, if that's better for you. So, just call me. Or, send me an email if you want. I'll...I'll leave my phone number and other contact info for you again, just in case you don't have it... ... ..."

Gah.

Hey, maybe there are nice recruiters out there, and maybe there's a small group of financial professionals who are intelligent, nice, and good at their jobs.

But not in my experience.

-t

No comments: