Monday, July 31, 2006

A Natural

The two things that I do not understand about my new job are these:

(1) I do not understand what I'm supposed to do.

(2) I do not understand why that doesn't seem to bother my boss.

What's the deal? It's not like it's been explained to me a hundred times and they've just given up. It's also not like this is the most complicated game in town. This is, in fact, one of the very least complicated games in town.

But, like Blackjack, "uncomplicated" doesn't mean "easy to succeed."

It's easy to understand "get to 21," but learning what it means to double-down, split, or take insurance will take a couple rounds, and learning when to use each strategy might take a couple days at the tables.

Unfortunately, here, one "round" corresponds to one month.

I'd know what I was doing now if I did month-end calculations for five or six funds a day every day, but, instead, I see one fund once a month.

Like learning to waltz without a partner, one step at a time, through a correspondence school.

Slow. And ineffective. Exactly the opposite of what I like to be. (Fast, and effective.)

I swear this job is easy, it's just going to take me until St. Patrick's Day to know how easy.

-t

recommended download:
Flogging Molly, Within A Mile of Home
and
Rautokoura, Ruutitynnyri (find it here; for more info don't click here)

No comments: