Thursday, July 20, 2006

I just want to hooooold you close...mm-mm-mm mm-mmm.

Two of my coworkers, the two that sit closest to me, sing.

Not "Hi, I'm a pop star who wants to be famous and I've got the voice that could take me all the way" or the "I'm the lead singer of a Zeppelin cover band that plays locally on the weekends" or "we're two of a barbershop quartet."

It's really more like mumbling with a barely discernable melody. Just melodic enough that you understand they're trying to sing a real song.

What real song? Why, practically any song that's been in the top forty in the last five years. As I'm writing this one of them is mumbling Aerosmith's Don't Want To Miss A Thing.

Two things:
1. They only sing loud enough for me to hear them. Unless you share a cubicle wall with either of these two the singing is imperceptible.

2. I say "one of them" is singing now because very often they start singing together. Out of nowhere someone will start up a song in the middle of a verse, I'll look around to figure out what that weird sound is ("oh, it's the singing"), and then, just at the chorus, the other one will come in.

And try to harmonize.

-t

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny.

craziasian said...

are you sure you don't work with and Dot? Because we sing. A lot. As in we average 10 to 12 songs a day. Except wait, no, it couldn't be, because we (a) sing on key, (b) belt it out so that people down the hall can hear us, and (c) never sing anything that is not Christmas-y or 80s rock-ish. Nevermind.