Wednesday, June 28, 2006

For sex or money?

Who does a guy have to pay off to get AIM on his computer around here?

This is not an angry rant, nothing of the kind. Coming in I knew the INTERNET was expressly forbidden. I accepted this, grieved, and tried to move on.

Happily, a few days hours after I started working I learned that the policy about internet browsing is paid lip service only, and if you are compelled to check your fantasy line-up the very moment you get in to work because who knows which A-list, must-acquire, talent may have become available in the thirty-minute train ride to the office, that's ok.

So I've been surfing the net since. Mostly I've been surfing and resurfing the same old waves because as much as I'd like to explore other coves and inlets to find new and better breakers, the fear that the new waves could be brightly-colored, loud, contain offensive material, pictures, pop-up ads, or ocean-disabling viruses, keeps me trolling the same old spots.

But that's not really the point. Exploration is happening, but at a tedious pace. The point is that ten minutes ago I got up to grab a free soft drink and glanced at the computer screen of the guy who sits directly across the aisle from me upon which I noticed A GIANT INSTANT MESSAGING WINDOW!

I don't even have access to change the system clock on my desktop, I am totally unable to install third party software. I am not an administrator, nor have I stolen their passwords. There is no AIM in Mudville.

This other guy though, I can only surmise he has special connections with the IT group that earn him AIM privileges, new cd drives, and pretty nice-looking (sounding?) speakers.

So all I'm saying is, if it's expressly forbidden unless IT is your buddy... who do I have to pay off?

-t

recommended downloads:
Midtown, Empty Like The Ocean
Morcheeba, Daylight Robbery
Rautakoura, Ruutitynnyri (you might have to google that one)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

an old trick i used to use on client sites was to call up help desks and ask for administrator rights on my pc with the excuse that i have a whole lotta software to install and no, i don't want to waste their time especially when i could do it myself. i got it 3 out of 4 times.

also if i recall correctly, trillium and gaim do not need administrative rights and can be installed right off the executable. you may need to find the right port to use (read: sweet-talk the dude who already has it).

craziasian said...

for sex.