Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Hyperspace

Hypermanager is in a bad mood today. One of our three seniors, Belinda, is leaving. Today is her last day. We are going to be short-handed for a while (due to HR's exceptional delay processing new-hire req's).

He is obsessing over our short-handedness.

Everyday he asks if I'm interviewing. I avoid the question. Belinda told me that yesterday was even worse. I was out, she is in a lame duck position, hypermanager was obsessing over the situation and snapping at everyone who spoke to him.

Today's Red Sox home opener has done nothing to cheer him up.

Belinda says I should tell her when I get a new job. She says she wants to come back to see me tell hypermanager. One of our regular accountants was offered the position Belinda is vacating. He turned it down. He is also looking for a new job outside the company. She is trying to contain her laughter. It will be bad. It will be very bad.

I am unconcerned. I would have been gone two months ago if someone had made an offer. Or last month if Ireland had come through. I don't want to stay, even if they do offer a raise, or a promotion. I'd leave for less money (though, hopefully, I won't have to).


Which brings me to a small recap of the weekend. (Those of you who are unaware (not Adina, judging from her comment on the previous post) FYI: Sam came up to visit this weekend. I was out of work on Friday and Monday.)

Anyway, most of the weekend was given to touring the city of Boston (on foot, not a decommissioned amphibious military vehicle like those tourists). Friday we were at the Museum of Science, where they had a Star Wars exhibit.

We got to sit IN the cockpit of the Millenium Falcon. IN the cockpit while the projection screen showed us travelling through hyperspace. You get a pin. It has the Millenium Falcon on it. It says "I made the jump!"

It was awesome. Really. Awesome.

Some of this weekend's other New England highlights included: The Little Blue Penguins at The New England Aquarium, lunch at Legal Seafood, Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market, beaches along Plymouth Bay, Mrs. Mallard and her ducklings at The Public Gardens, Boston Common, the State House (old and new), and (of course?) me.

One other highlight was watching a video I'd made in high school for history class about the Unibomber. That video was so funny I almost blogged about it last week.

That's it for now.

Waiting patiently for a job offer,
-tgme

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

2 points:
a. your manager should not be asking you if you are seeking outside jobs. it is extremely inappropriate and you should not feel in any way compelled to answer him. in fact, you should inform him that his questions are inappropriate and you feel harassed and uncomfortable. well, maybe not go that far, but his questions are like asking an employee how old they are or their sexual orientation: its just not right and they may be legally accountable for it.
b. have you ever BEEN on a duck tour? i went on one when i was a conference counselor for middle school kids (circa 2002) and i am honestly willing to admit that it was AWESOME.

QUACK QUACK!!

Tom said...

Haha. The Duck Tour comment was made in jest. I have not been on one but am certainly willing (eager?) provided I have a suitable tourist companion to explain my participation.

Also, they are always asking if you're interviewing somewhere else, so much so that you begin to wonder if you should, because, hey, maybe you're in demand and don't even know it.

You can't wear a tie to work without getting the third degree from three different managers and a constant stream of "hey, big interview today?"s from the peons in the office.

I derive a lot of enjoyment avoiding their questions and providing evasive answers. Mostly I wear ties just to mess with them.

Just to be clear, the constant questing for interview info isn't uncomfortable. It's the atmosphere I have to work in everyday that is uncomfortable.

Also, could you possible think any more like a lawyer? At all?

Because seriously, a response that sounds so similar to "that is actionable" is a little over the top maybe, for a blog that is as laid back and about avoiding work as mine. Right?

Finally, three cheers for KT being mean to me and NO ONE ELSE need to jump back onto that bandwagon.

ttfn
-t

Donny said...

KT,

When I was in D.C. to visit you for just one day, my coworkers thought I was interviewing. They asked me "What kind of shoes are you bringing? Nice shoes? Or just sneakers?" Yeah, they're clever.

Anonymous said...

SUE!!!


:P