Wednesday, July 06, 2005

So, I guess, you know, if you choose to look at it that way, technically, it's cheating...

So I have an interview. Here. Right here in this building, for this company, for this group. Not for this position though, I already have this position. The interview is for a BRAND NEW position. (please keep in mind that in this instance "new position" really means "same money, more work," but it's not like I'm killing myself to get all my work done now, right?)

BRAND NEW position. The first interview will be with my senior manager. Then an interview each with the two lesser managers. A three-part interview.

The breakdown:
1. Part One, Senior Manager - piece of cake. he's the one that recommended I apply.
2. Part Two, the less-senior of the lesser managers - he's only been here two weeks, unless I punch him in the face I don't see this hampering my chances.
3. Part Three, hype-coffee manager - See, he's hyper. He's "detail-oriented." He's nuts. And I just so happen to know that he has a prepared quiz he gives all candidates for this position. And, and this is where it gets technical, I happen to know where the quiz (and answers) are saved on the network.

So of course I'm going to print them out and review them before the interview! I mean, if I didn't, that would be like, that would be like not taking free money from a wallet that just fell out of someone's pocket! or, like ordering dinner at a resturant and then not taking off when the waitress takes too long to bring the check! of course I'm going to review the questions, and of course I'm going to memorize the answers.

Come on. Is it my fault that he stores everything in the same folder on the network, not only the spreadsheets we need to do our job, but also pictures of his dog and his family reunion? Is it my fault the document in question is labeled "Quiz_and_AnswerKey_for_SeniorPosition.doc"? I mean really? If you were hiring someone, wouldn't you want to hire that someone resourceful enough to find that quiz? or smart enough to recognize its value? I know I would.

On the other hand, I may want to hire them, but I'd also want to keep them away from my wallet.

Good luck to me.
-Tom

recommended download:
Bob Schneider, The World Goes Around
and
Led Zepplin, Fool In The Rain

3 comments:

Stephermay said...

good luck, there. i'm in the same boat, but i already nailed my interview - i'm just waiting for the bombs to drop when i tell my manageer i'm leaving.. you thought you saw fireworks this weekend...

Anonymous said...

Good luck Tom ! I would definitely hire someone resourceful enough to find that quiz.

Although it could be that the quiz is fake, and he wants to make sure he doesn't hire someone who thinks he's found all the answers and then doesn't prepare fully. So I'd still be ready for anything. Stay on your toes Gerry!

And definitly DON'T punch the other guy in the face! I'm no expert but I'd say that will NOT help.

mance01 said...

Good luck :)