Monday, July 25, 2005

Colorado

I needed a new backpack going in to sophmore year of high school, and courier bags were all the rage so I began looking for one. I found it in an L.L.Bean catalogue: a big black bag with colored panels avaiable in red, blue, gold, green, black, and silver. The bag being modeled in the catalogue by a youth on a mountain bike had the red panels with the word "Red" clearly superimposed over the middle part of the bag just in case, I don't know, your colorblind uncle was looking to order you a christmas present. I thought to myself, that superimposed "Red" is in the same position on the bag as the embroidered initials would go...

So, because I wanted the very bag I had seen on page 27, because it would be different, because three giant capital initials always look stupid on those backpacks, and, because it was free, I had them stitch "Red" onto the bag. As I was ordering it, by phone, the saleswoman asked what color I'd like. I said "um, red." She then asked if there was an alternate color I would prefer, if the red was not in stock. I thought a minute and said "blue" because as cool as having a red bag labeled "Red" was, it might be just as cool to have a blue bag with the same label.

Anyway. The bag came, I loved it, it was giant, could fit anything, it was cool, it was red, it was labeled "Red" and it caused me explanations no end. "No, it's not my nickname, it's the color of the bag" "No, those aren't my initials" and so on.

The point is, the bag was red, and the name on the bag was "Red."

Which is why I find it amusing that my new Chevy Colorado is dark red. The truck is red, and the name on the truck is Colorado, in spanish: "red colored."

It was not by design, I took what was on the lot. It just so happened to be a red, five-cylinder, four-wheel drive, four-door, power everything, and oh-by-the-way satellite radio, chrome finish, and dark-gray wheel-flared trimmed-out beauty.

bam.
-tom
recommended downloads:
The Shins, High Horse
The Old 97's, Timebomb, and Am I Too Late
Phil Ochs, I'm Gonna Say It Now
The Muppet Babies, I'm Gonna Always Love You
NOFX, Gin 'n Juice (Snoop Dogg cover)
Flogging Molly, Rare Ould Times
Three Doors Down, Here Without You

1 comment:

mance01 said...

Satellite radio, aren't you Mr. Fancypants? Sounds like a nice truck. :) Also, Muppet Babies? Rock out.